About the job
We are looking for an Assistant Area Coordinator to join our Crossing Patrol Service. In this role you will be providing a valuable service to our local communities.
Salary: £19,554.00 - £19,945.00 (£6,707 - £6,841 Pro-rata).
Working Pattern: 15 Hours per week - split shift (7.30am - 9am / 2.30pm - 4pm)
Core hours required to coincide with School Crossing Patrols times will require work between 7.30am - 9.00am / 2.30pm and 4pm, with some level of flexibility to attend meetings and complete admin tasks.
Contract Length: Permanent, term-time only (39 weeks plus 5.4 annual leave entitlement).
As an Assistant Area Co-ordinator, you will supervise a team of crossing patrol staff. The Crossing Patrol Service manages sites outside and near to schools providing safe crossing and encouraging walking by children and their parents. In this role you will work across a geographic area based from our Clapham Depot (near Worthing).
Your tasks will include:
- Supervising, monitoring and managing a large number of School Crossing Patrols (SCP).
- Solving a variety of problems.
- Liaising with internal and external service providers and agencies.
- Ensure that each West Sussex SCP receives induction and training, uniform and approved equipment in order to work effectively and professionally
Experience and skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong advisory skills to explain complex service requirements to members of the public in response to queries.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports, and to document the findings of incidents and investigations for Area Co-ordinators.
- Be able to anticipate and identify problems, plan solutions, make sound practical problem-solving decisions and make best use of available resources.
- A strong customer focus with the ability to work within a team that provides a high quality School Crossing Patrol Service.
- Good people related skills for managing School Crossing Patrols and to work with colleagues.
- Ability to remain calm when under pressure and to be able to switch work between competing needs during the day.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- 3 GCSEs or equivalent, or equivalent experience.
- Experience of day-to-day supervision of a team.
- Operational experience of planning and utilising resources.
- Computer Literate
- A strong background in customer relations, dealing with complaints and defusing possible conflicts.
- To have proven successful experience of working as part of a team to effectively meet objectives within agreed timescales.
- A full car driver licence.
Reward and benefits
In addition to working within a great team you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- Generous annual leave.
- A generous pension scheme.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 a year through our West Sussex Choices benefits platform
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00914.
To apply, upload your CV and application form explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!