Hours of work: 37 hours per week
Working pattern: Full-time
Closing date: Sunday 10th July 2022
Interview date: 18th July 2022
For an informal discussion, please contact:
Principal Social Worker
About the role
East Sussex Children’s Services
East Sussex Children’s Services is Ofsted graded outstanding Local Authority. This is not an easy accomplishment and is the result of many factors including recruiting the right people who then commit to stay with us for the long term. Recruiting and retaining the right staff, whether that is social workers, residential keyworkers, or early help practitioners, is key to ensuring that we make a real difference to the most vulnerable children and families in our community. We have had a great track record in the past but as with most Local Authorities we are facing some recruitment challenges. In response to this challenge, we are establishing a new recruitment and retention team located in the heart of the service. You will sit within this team and your role as community manager will be central to the success of this service. You will drive forward the communication activity that attract practitioners and managers to the service and provides strong “your valued” messages supporting retention.
You will be a resourceful, passionate, and motivated individual who has experience in leading on recruitment and retention across a large workforce.
You will be a creative thinker, good problem solver and have excellent strategic skills. You will be experienced in a communications role, probably a graduate or with a PR background. You may not be an expert in Children’s Services but you will be someone with a genuine motivation and passion to want to helping to recruit and retain a workforce that can really make a difference for our children and families.
You will be embedded in the Children’s Service team but also working with East Sussex County Council’s Communications Team. You will have a wealth of knowledge and experience in creating innovative communication and recruitment campaigns and be a multi-skilled communicator who can:
- Develop excellent relationships with stakeholders including communication departments in local universities and colleges, and advertising providers identifying opportunities for maximising recruitment and retention activity
- Create a strong ongoing media and social media presence for ESCC Children’s Services celebrating the work we do with the view to attracting applicants and valuing staff
- Create engaging content for a variety of audiences on all channels from web pages to editorial features and social media posts, including short videos and clips
- Develop and take responsibility for a marketing plan for the recruitment and retention of social workers and keyworkers for the next 18 months in line with ESCC recruitment and retention strategy
- Take the lead on delivering targeted marketing activity, analysing and presenting results to senior management team
- Work closely with the recruitment manager and operational managers to capitalise quickly and creatively on opportunities for promoting the service
- Create and series of blogs, podcasts and media stories based on children, young people and practitioner stories promoting children’s services
- Design creative content that celebrates the positive impact of the workforce to be used internally for retention activity
- Ensure recruitment website is modern, innovative and attractive
- Take responsibility and ownership for projects being accountable for activity with an ability to prioritise and manage workload efficiently.
We welcome applications from all sections of our community and for this post we particularly encourage applications from people of Black, Asian, and ethnic minority backgrounds.
Our progressive development programme will enable you to further develop your expertise in children’s services and this will be supported through induction,supervision, mentoring,and bespoke training. We want to recruit those that are already motivated and have the skills and knowledge to make a difference for our workforce.But we don’t expect you to sit on your laurels, the kind of people attracted to this role will constantly be wanting to learn and develop and maximise the many opportunities working for ESCC provides.
Want to hear more?
We know you don’t want to read all our reasons for choosing East Sussex so view our video – Supportive...progressive...innovative – to hear more about why people choose East Sussex, including our Connected Practice model, our supportive environment, our progressive tech kit and approach, and our front footed response to COVID.
Benefits of a role with East Sussex
In addition to a highly-competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits including relocation costs, interest free loans for rental deposit and driving lessons and low interest car loans*. For all the details, take a look at the full range of benefits.
So, If you’d like to join this high energy service in a fast-moving environment, apply now.
This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS check or Enhanced check for Regulated Activity with the Disclosure & Barring Services (previously the Criminal Records Bureau). For further information about what is required in this process please go to http://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check. Please note that we require evidence of an overseas police check if you have lived or worked abroad.
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.
Work Permits: we may be able to obtain a Work Permit for this post but this is subject to meeting the requirements of the UK Border Agency’s Points-based Immigration System.
Due to the restrictions we cannot guarantee that individuals that meet the requirements of the Points-based Immigration System will be issued with clearance to obtain work permits.
If you require any reasonable adjustments, due to disability, to enable you to participate fully in the process please contact the hiring manager on the contact details above.
Reasonable adjustments include things like an offline application form. If you would like to discuss your requirements further, please get in touch.
East Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitable candidates, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. All applications are treated on merit.