The Royal Parks (TRP) is a charity created in March 2017. We manage over 5,000 acres of diverse parkland, rare habitats and historic buildings and monuments in eight Royal Parks across London. These are: Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, The Green Park, St James’s Park, The Regent's Park and Primrose Hill, Greenwich Park, Richmond Park and Bushy Park.
We also manage other important public spaces including Brompton Cemetery and Victoria Tower Gardens. Our eight Royal Parks and other public spaces are among the most visited attractions in the UK with 77 million visits every year.
We are now looking for three Technical Officers to join us on a permanent, full-time basis, working 36 hours per week in Hyde Park, Bushy Park or Kensington Gardens.
This is a really exciting opportunity with some excellent development opportunities for someone looking to develop their career in park or landscape management.
- Salary of £29,001 - £35,076 per annum, depending on experience
- 26 days’ holiday plus bank holidays (increasing to 29 days after 3 years’ service)
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance programme - available to all staff and family members
If you have landscaping, amenity, countryside or park operations experience and are keen to contribute to the care and maintenance of stunning green spaces across London, this is the perfect role for you.
Working in some of London’s most prestigious green spaces, you will find this position highly rewarding as you ensure our Parks continue to offer beautiful and tranquil spaces for visitors far and wide.
So, if you are eager to join our talented team in a rewarding role where no two days are the same, we’re waiting to hear from you.
As the Technical Officer, you will carry out a range of horticultural, conservation, park management and technical functions in one of three Royal Parks, either Hyde Park, Bushy Park or Kensington Gardens with the role varying slightly in each unique landscape. As you develop within the role, we’d expect you to learn varied park management, horticulture and countryside management skills, setting you up for a future in park management.
In this key role, you will support the relevant Park Management Team by undertaking a broad range of operational activities ranging from handling enquiries from members of the public, to managing small park development projects and supervising contractors.
Keeping our parks running smoothly, your role will include:
- Supporting the day-to-day management of landscape management contracts
- Monitoring and supervising other contracts and works
- Assisting the Park and Events teams with events and filming within the parks
- Assisting with the development and implementation of Biodiversity and Sustainability Initiatives
- Implementing relevant Health & Safety legislation
- Acting as a point of contact for visitors, concession and contractors
- Assisting with in-house water quality testing (for roles in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens)
To be considered a Technical Officer, you will need:
- Experience of landscape, amenity, countryside or park operations and/or management
- Good communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Knowledge and competence in Microsoft Office suite (including Excel)
- Knowledge of Health and Safety principles, roles and responsibilities
- Excellent time management skills
- The ability to identify work to improve service delivery and meet customer needs
- A basic understanding of relevant legislation, best practice and technical matters relating to landscape, parks, horticulture or heritage
- A Level 3 qualification (or equivalent) in Horticulture, Landscape Management, Heritage or Conservation (e.g. Level 3 Horticultural Apprenticeship)
- A full, valid UK driving licence
Ideally, you will have experience of working at medium to large sized events at an operational level. Experience of report writing would be advantageous, as would knowledge of control systems such as watercourse management, irrigation, heating or lighting.
Other organisations may call this role Assistant Park Manager, Technical Services Officer, Contract Officer, Maintenance Contracts Manager, Park Maintenance Manager, or Technical Contracts Officer.
Webrecruit and The Royal Parks are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you have the skill set to succeed as a Technical Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.