Senior Officer 2 Positions
Please indicate on your application if you wish to be considered for position 1 (Community Safety), position 2 (Housing) or both
1 – Community Safety, ASB
2 – Housing, ASB and Safeguarding
Our award-winning Council is on an exciting journey of change. It’s all about putting local people at the heart of everything, listening to and working alongside our communities. We’re now more innovative, more efficient and provide better value for money. The changes are clear to see – from new businesses and jobs, to improving school results and to museums being recognised for their community engagement.
Our borough is continually developing and is becoming an excellent place for people to live, work and visit and following service developments the Safer Neighbourhood Service are now looking to recruit 2 Senior Officers who will provide leadership to specialist teams within the service.
Your role in our journey
The Safer Neighbourhood Service is a diverse team which focusses on a range of statutory and non-statutory functions including, but not limited to, the delivery of Community Safety Partnerships, Private and Social Housing management and regulation and Environmental Enforcement.
The Senior Officers are new posts in the service and the post-holders will work in partnership with a range of key stakeholders which include South Yorkshire Police to provide excellent leadership to small specialist teams. Each of the Senior Officer posts are slightly different however all posts share the same role profile and as such a varied knowledge of all subjects is important.
The posts available are:
Senior Officer 1
This post will be focused on providing positive and effective leadership within the Community Safety, ASB and Environmental Enforcement agendas. The post-holder will be responsible for approximately 11 staff who operate across the borough and will be responsible for the following:
- Case Management Officers who are focused on creating legal files for civil and criminal cases to be put before the judicial system.
- Neighbourhood Wardens who are focused on working within local communities in close partnership with South Yorkshire Police.
- The Council’s boroughwide response to graffiti cleansing.
Senior Officer 2
Will provide strong and effective leadership to a team of proactive and reactive Case Management and Housing staff. The team has responsibility for the following functions to ensure all our residents can live in safe, warm and healthy environments, free from the poor behaviour of others:
- Escalated social housing investigations including pursuing civil sanctions through the County Court
- Housing management, regulation and compliance in the private sector including landlord malpractice prosecutions in the Magistrates Court
- Housing related antisocial behaviour
- Environmental blight
- Safeguarding and vulnerability
Both roles require excellent leadership skills to drive continuous service improvement and sound working knowledge of legislation applicable to the role. It is important that all aspects of the role profile are met when applying for the positions.
We are looking for applicants who have experience within relevant areas of the role based on the Job Profile and with a particular focus on dealing with anti-social behaviour, community safety, housing and/or safeguarding issues.
The main aims of the role’s will be to:
· Manage the day to day operation of a small, multi-discipline team.
· Engage with key stakeholders to broaden and develop closer working relationships.
· Provide specialist advice to colleagues and other key stakeholders
· Provide support and guidance to front line officers with a view to continuous development
· Act as an ambassador for the Safer Neighbourhood Service and maximise opportunities to engage with local community groups across your area.
A lot to look forward to
At Barnsley there is a lot look forward to. We live and work by four important values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team, you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You’ l see that we prioritise learning and enabling you to achieve your potential. So we’ve created a development process that lets you grow in the way that suits you - whether that’s further developing your leadership skills or learning flexibly online. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold, and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided. Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.