Commercial Project Manager
£35,991 pa- £38,994 pa
Think you can only find innovative, commercial roles in the private sector? Think again!
Your new Team:
The Business and Growth team at Newham Council is at the forefront of innovation and commercialisation in the public sector. In the face of reduced government funding, the London Borough of Newham is not reducing its ambition for its people and communities. The team’s work is an important part of maintaining that responsibility. Our focus is on delivering the Council’s capital investment strategy and key priorities. The team is tasked with improving the delivery of the council’s existing priority projects and project management of new income streams or initiatives to close the budget gap left by years of public sector funding cuts. Generating additional independent income streams helps Newham Council and helps Newham residents too.
Our projects include:
- Working to support the Council’s various Housing companies – helping solve one of the country’s biggest problems
- Supporting large and complex commercial projects - unlocking value of existing assets and finding new investments to deliver social and financial returns to the Council; and
- Advising existing services on how to be more commercial – this doesn’t necessarily mean increasing prices but being innovative in our thinking
Your new role:
Commercial project managers in the Business and Growth team will lead on work streams across a variety of key commercial projects.
You need to:
- Have excellent project management skills and a relentless focus on achieving results
- Be able to build consensus across the Council
- Be passionate about finding innovative ways to deliver commercial ideas in the public sector and be able to adapt readily to different types of projects
- Identify new business opportunities
- Understand basic financial information to manage budgets
- Interrogate financial data and build business plans (would be a bonus)
- Work with a range of external partners and advisors, to challenge and manage them to get the best result for Newham; and
- Steer projects through the Council’s internal governance processes
We are seeking applications from individuals with various backgrounds and will tailor project portfolios to team members so the list above is a guide only. Ultimately, we want quick learners, who can think commercially and take responsibility for their tasks.
This is not a typical public sector role but you will still need to be happy to work within a local government framework. We’re seeking people who are passionate about the ability of public services to improve people’s lives and understand the broader political and policy context in which you work.
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Newham Redeployees.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Employee Services Team on 0203 373 0909
Interviews to be held w/c 24th September