About The Jobs
West Sussex County Council are looking for a number of legal assistants/legal executives to join our experienced and motivated team. If you are not CILEX qualified, as part of the role you will have the opportunity to undertake the CILEX process to qualify as a legal executive (with both financial assistance towards the CILEX fees and study leave).
Salary: £21,269 to £29,174
Working Pattern: Full-time, 37 hours per week. Flexible working considered.
Contract Length: Permanent, a number of positions available.
Location: Based at Chichester with hybrid working from home depending upon candidate's experience. Option to work in offices around West Sussex available.
Interview Date: Week commencing 18/07/2022.
As a legal assistant you will be working in the Child Care & Advocacy Team supporting Children's Services with sensitive child protection cases, in which your role will impact on the future wellbeing and circumstances of individual children and families in West Sussex. In this position you will support Children's Services with their role of ensuring the safety and security of children across West Sussex.
Duties will include the organisation of case files, handling and preparing court related documents and court process management. As you build upon your experience you will eventually begin to hold an appropriate case load of legal matters with the potential of attending relevant legal meetings and undertaking advocacy at court.
There will be direct responsibility for handling and processing legal information where care, accuracy and confidentiality are important, and you will be required to prepare complex legal documents for distribution.
You will become part of our 30 strong Child Care legal team. You will work in an accommodating and dynamic environment supported by a senior management team including 1 Principal Solicitor and 4 Senior Solicitors. With us, employees can achieve their full potential as we strive for a healthy work-life balance and ensure you are rewarded for the work you do. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and developing legal assistant/legal executive to come on board and benefit from the team's wide-ranging expertise.
Experience and skills
- Excellent organisational skills to facilitate meetings and meet set deadlines for preparing court bundles and service of court-related papers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to effectively exchange complicated or sensitive information both orally and in writing with witnesses, solicitors, barristers and lay parties
- Analytical and judgemental skills to interpret complex information in order to effectively deal with arranging court cases and meetings, and to handle case-related calls from clients, courts and external lawyers.
- Competence in drafting / report writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to have a flexible and adaptable approach to work.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Applications will be considered from a range of academic backgrounds (with a minimum of A level qualifications, or equivalent experience demonstrating that level of numeracy and literacy).
- Demonstrable experience of working in an office environment, producing high quality documentation and meeting deadlines.
- Good working knowledge of IT systems / procedures, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrable experience of handling a varied workload, producing high quality and accurate documents and working effectively as a member of a team.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- 24-26 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme, 5.8% employee contribution.
- The opportunity to obtain the CILEX qualification.
- Potential flexible working and condensed hours.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A strong supportive management team.
- Up to 13 flexi days a year
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 (Including: Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more).
- Free access to employee assistance programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
- A range of commuting and business travel discounts and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00577.
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!