Our team manages a significant portfolio of residential property, and our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We’re working hard to improve disadvantaged areas and enhance people’s lives across the Borough, including a carbon neutral strategy.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
We support hybrid working arrangements and would envisage this role being delivered through a mix of remote and on-site working.
About the role
This is a key strategic role within Housing Property Services, managing a team of mechanical and electrical engineers delivering both planned and reactive maintenance, as well as working alongside building surveyors and architects on some exciting and dynamic new build projects as well as existing housing.
From assisting to deliver RBC’s Zero Carbon strategy and involvement with communal and sheltered housing heating systems, to asset replacement programmes, such as lifts and Fire Alarms – there is a diverse portfolio of work and no two days are the same in this varied and challenging role.
We need you to be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and to have had prior experience of team management. You will need a proven background in the field of building services, construction, and project management. Experience of or a qualification in Gas engineering would be an advantage.
- Recognised Building Services Qualification
- Gas Safe or similar qualification
- Working knowledge of procurement legislation and procurement methodology.
- Understanding of Standard forms of contract, how they are applied and used from a client perspective on construction projects.
- Structured and logical approach to fiscal contract management.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities, including hybrid working from home /office arrangement.
- Modern working environment at the Bennet Road Offices in Reading.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) which has pre-tax employer contributions of 14.8% plus £6342 pa.
- Day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car. The monthly fee includes insurance, tyres, servicing and road tax.
Closing date: 27th June
Provisional interview date: W/C 4th & 11th July