Planning Officer x3
Permanent, Full time 37 hours
RG4m – RG5b (scp 19 – 25) £25,927 - £30,095
You put a lot in to your job. We believe you should get a lot back. A career at Reading Borough Council comes with a lot more than just a monthly salary. You can make the most of our flexible working arrangements, helping you to balance the demands of your home life with those of the workplace.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Reading Borough Council offers more than just your next job. It’s a place where you can shape your career. And we will ensure that you have every opportunity available to you to progress, if that’s what you want. That means regular performance appraisals and feedback from your line manager, supporting you to develop your skills and experience.
Reading is a vibrant town subject to considerable development growth with a lot of planning applications and associated work to deal with. We have a recently adopted Local Plan (2019) and a useful collection of Supplementary Planning Documents.
- You will be helping to provide a full planning application service involving the validation and assessment of simple planning applications
- Carrying out site visits and then writing reports to justify your recommendations.
- You will also help customers with their enquiries on planning matters and help prepare responses on the enforcement of planning regulations.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- You will ideally have some experience of working in a planning office, however, candidates with a proven track record of being well organised and capable and keen to learn fast will be considered.
- Experience of dealing with members of the public (listening to their concerns, dealing with their complaints, and negotiating with them) is required as is the ability to work alongside colleagues in a team.
- You should be able to demonstrate excellent communication in both your writing and speaking skills and be competent using IT.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 26th June
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.