About The Job
West Sussex County Council are looking for a County Planning Team Manager, based in Chichester.
Salary: £52,670 to £55,782 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week.
Contract Length: Permanent.
Location: County Hall, Chichester. Hybrid working options available.
Are you experienced in development management? Do you have the ability to manage a team? Are you looking for your next career step? Keep reading to find out more…
As the County Planning Team Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of some of the County Council's statutory planning functions. This includes activities such as:
- Processing mineral and waste planning applications,
- Processing Regulation 3 planning applications for the County Council's own development,
- Site monitoring and compliance checking,
- Informal and formal planning enforcement action.
You'll also be responsible for managing the County Council's involvement in three Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects that are being taken through the Development Consent Order process.
As the professional lead for development management, you will advise the Planning and Right of Way Committee, Members, senior managers, and internal and external partners accordingly.
As a member of the Planning Services Management Team, you'll work with the other Team Managers and the Head of Planning Services to ensure that a joined-up approach is undertaken to service delivery within the Service, the Directorate, and the Council.
Experience and Skills
- The ability to analyse and make sound, pragmatic judgements based on principles to tackle difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Sound partnership working skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions.
- Ability to set timescales and objectives and review effectiveness of service delivery.
- Effective research, evaluation and interpretation skills to derive conclusions and plan over the short to medium term.
- Effective people management and performance management skill.
- Project management skills including the ability to apply project management principles and practices to complex issues.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Postgraduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to land-use planning (or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting).
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body such as the Royal Town Planning Institute (or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices).
- Expert relevant knowledge and experience in land-use planning, preferably including sound relevant operational experience in minerals and waste planning.
- Significant post-qualification experience in dealing with significant and complex issues.
- Experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality service to others.
- Experience of managing/leading staff.
- Experience of managing income and a budget and contributing to financially related decisions on high level spends.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme.
- Flexible working.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- Up to 13 flexi days a year.
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 (Including: Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more).
- Free access to employee assistance programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
- A range of commuting and business travel discounts and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00947.
To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!