The Falkland Islands Government is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced Financial Secretary. This role provides a unique opportunity to work at a senior level with responsibility for taking on the strategic and operational responsibility for the formulation and execution of financial policy and strategy for the Falkland Islands Government. This role is a unique opportunity to live and work overseas in a beautiful and vibrant island community.
The role will involve fulfilling statutory requirements, providing leadership and management to the dedicated and dynamic team working within our Treasury Department, leading the corporate strategic budget process (including a ten-year capital programme) and representing and negotiating on behalf of Government as required to ensure best value for money and that the best interests of the Islands are at the heart of financial decision making and advice.
The successful applicant will benefit from a well-resourced facility (which includes Finance, Tax, Pensions and Internal Audit) and the opportunity to make a real difference to the community in which they will live.
We are seeking to recruit a Financial Secretary who will:
- Have at least 10 years’ relevant post qualification experience in financial management.
- As Commissioner of Taxation, oversee the formulation of taxation policy, creation of tax legislation and assessment and collection of taxes.
- Control and administer Falkland Island currency in order to comply with the legislation.
- Direct internal audit of FIG’s affairs and integrate them with the work of the external auditor.
- Participate in the corporate and strategic management of the Government, working to ensure the Government is pursuing a coherent and practical financial strategy in line with political priorities.
- Support the work of elected Members collectively and individually by providing policy advice for areas of assigned responsibility and overseeing the achievement of political decisions.
- Provide effective leadership and direction for the directorate in order to meet FIG strategic priorities and objectives
- Support and work through Heads of Service to ensure effective delivery of the business plan including monitoring progress and intervening appropriately to support HoS to tackle challenges that arise.
- Work with Heads of Service to control spending and other resources within approved Directorate budgets and formulate Directorate budget proposals and priorities in the light of competing demands.
- Lead the strategic management of the assigned services, ensuring: achievement of Islands’ Plan and Business Plan targets, a pro-active approach to strategic planning, the provision of directorate and business unit plans, continuous improvement and the provision of management systems, processes and structures in line with corporate policies.
- Provide leadership to managers within the assigned directorate/services through: the setting of objectives and performance indicators; the allocation of resources; the monitoring of achievement; identification of variances and remedial action; mentoring and role modelling and pro-active use of the individual performance appraisal system.
- Have the core skills in accountancy which will need to be underpinned by sound project management skills and an ability to think laterally and creatively to generate realistic solutions to a range of corporate initiatives.
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £97,610 to £112,011 per annum (up to £117,125 per annum for an exceptional candidate).
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity.
- 41 days paid leave, 30 days paid annual leave plus 11 government and public holidays.
- Flights Package, for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Government Housing, for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- Favourable income tax rates.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the position please contact Andy Keeling, Chief Executive by emailing email@example.com or by calling (+500) 28450.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications - 08 August 2022 @ 2030 GMT
Longlisting and Preliminary Interviews commencing from 09 August 2022
Shortlisitng and Final Stage Interviews (UK) commencing from 15 August 2022
Final Interviews (Falkland Islands) - dates to be confirmed
The Working Environment
The Vision of FIG Treasury is to provide high quality public financial management services to Falkland Islands Government. The Mission is to contribute to the FIG Medium Term Financial Plan whilst addressing aspirations for new developments and improved services in an efficient, reliable and customer friendly manner.
The Treasury contributes to the Islands Plan by supporting and enabling other FIG departments in delivering Social and Economic development, and leading on financial planning, decision support, business partnering, tax policy and administration and being a key part of sound financial management and governance. It also provides services that facilitate other Directorates in achieving their objectives whilst providing a central role to ensure corporate objectives are met.
The Financial Secretary is responsible for oversight and accountability for all aspects of the Treasury and its constituent sections, working with other Treasury staff. There are a number of external suppliers to the Treasury: external audit, Government investments are managed by two separate investment management companies, investment assurance consultants, specialist taxation advice, and actuarial reviews of pension arrangements.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.