Transport Operations Manager
Road Safety & Active Travel
Ref: 1845 - 2276
Salary: Band 10 - £34,105 - £38,052 p.a.
37 hours per week
This role is the overall manager of the Transport Operations Unit which consists of Home to School Transport, Fleet Management and Traded Services. It ensures compliance with safeguarding and statutory requirements and provides PCC with specialist technical transport advice. It liaises with companies and internal services over transport need.
What is the role?
Reporting to the Road Safety and Active Travel Manager you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that approximately 600 pupils are safely transported, on a daily basis, to and from home to educational establishments
- Managing the function of the delivery of the Transport Operations Unit including Home to School Transport and the council's Passenger Assistant and Driver service, (currently 130 staff) and Traded Services providing guidance and direction of the integration of service delivery
- Comprehensive day-to-day line management of Transport Operations Unit staff
- Managing the council's vehicle fleet ensuring all legal obligations are adhered to
- Managing the service, maintenance and repair contract and fuel card contract on behalf of Portsmouth City Council
- Designated officer on PCC Operating Licence
- Establishing administration and management procedures, revising processes and policies and leading in the delivery of efficiencies and income.
- Assist in the development of further transport policies and requirements.
- Offer professional advice to transport service users
- Meet transport objectives for delivering transport within set expenditure limits including tendering for contracts and vehicles
- Remain up to date and compliant with all relevant organisational procedures, policies and professional codes of conduct in order to uphold standards of best practice. To keep abreast of best practice in the profession, watching for innovative approaches to transport issues.
- Establish relationships with elected members and key decision makers, and act as both an influencer to assist in the determination of the transport priorities, and to conduit to articulate technical and sensitive decisions to a range of audiences
Closing 12:00 noon on 13th September 2018
Applications received after this may not be considered
Interview process: 20th September 2018