About The Job
West Sussex County Council are looking for three Childcare Solicitors to join our experienced and motivated team. This is a fully remote role.
Salary: £37,568 - £51,613 per annum, dependant on qualifications and experience.
Working Pattern: Full-time, 37 hours per week. Part-time/ job share considered. Flexible working and condensed hours options e.g. 9 day fortnight.
Contract Length: Permanent, 3 positions available.
Location: Fully remote, working from home. Option to work in offices around West Sussex available.
Interview Date: Week commencing 06/06/2022.
As a Childcare Solicitor you will be working with Children's Services, supporting them with sensitive cases, in which your legal advice and support will impact on the future wellbeing and circumstances of individual children and families in West Sussex. In this position you will support Children's Services with their role of ensuring the safety and security of children across West Sussex.
You will become part of our 30 strong Childcare legal team. You will work in an accommodating and dynamic environment supported by a senior management team including 1 Principal Solicitor and 4 Senior Solicitors. With us employees can achieve their full potential as we strive for a healthy work-life balance and ensure you are rewarded for the work you do. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and developing Childcare Solicitor to come on board and benefit from the team's wide-ranging expertise.
The right candidates will ideally have experience in childcare law with the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment. However, if you can evidence good transferable legal skills to move into this area of law, we will support your development and transition to childcare law. Consideration will be given to applicants from private practice with relevant experience.
As a service, we are looking for committed individuals with high levels of professionalism, integrity, and a genuine desire to contribute to the growth of the team. You will be a tenacious, compassionate and self-driven individual who is prepared to embrace our values and be part of the West Sussex culture #BeTheDifference.
Experience and Skills
- Effective drafting and report writing skills.
- Fully competent research skills.
- Ability to build strong working relations with clients.
- Sound organisational skills.
- Competent presentational skills or advocacy experience in childcare law.
- Ability to analyse and advise on legislative and regulatory text and other legal materials and to present arguments in written form.
- Flexible and adaptable within the range of work for the post.
- Sound IT skills in order to use the case management system and digital court process.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Qualified solicitor or barrister, we are happy to consider all levels of experience.
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices e.g. CILEX.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme, 6.5% - 8.5% employee contribution.
- Potential flexible working and condensed hours e.g. 9 day fortnight.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A strong supportive management team.
- Up to 13 flexi days a year
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 (Including: Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more).
- Practising certificate funded.
- Free access to employee assistance programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
- A range of commuting and business travel discounts and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00572.
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
In your employment contract your base location will be County Hall, Chichester which means if any travel is required to this location you will not be reimbursed.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!