About The Job
Salary: £30,095 - £32,798 per annum
Working Pattern: Full Time 37 hours per week or Part time hours available, with a flexible working pattern
Location: Based at County Hall, Chichester but predominantly working from home or flexibly
Interview Date: 8th June 2022
This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate surveyor with some work experience already looking to complete their Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) qualification and build on their existing training and knowledge. It could also suit someone currently working in property management or similar who are ready to take the next step in your career.
This role will provide fantastic exposure to a wide range of property projects including landlord and tenant and development opportunities. As, the Council manages a huge variety of property and land, this role presents a good opportunity to build experience across a significant wide ranging portfolio rarely seen elsewhere.
The role is extremely varied, and you will be working in a professional Estates team delivering a comprehensive and cost effective property management service, implementing the Council's policies, strategies, and asset management reviews, assisting with the delivery of services - all against a background of maximising efficiencies and generating revenue income from our varied asset base.
As an Estates Surveyor, you will be supporting with and carrying out the negotiation of lease and licence agreements, rent reviews, easements and wayleaves, the management of rent accounts and service charges and the disposal of assets surplus to operational requirements.
We are seeking a candidate with good communication skills as these will be necessary in face-to-face meetings with tenants, schools, property owners, external consultants and estate agents, legal colleagues and other Council teams. In addition, the post holder will be required to prepare reports, undertake necessary research and manage contracts.
Whilst working within a team, the role requires initiative to competently organise a varied property case and workload and respond to unanticipated problems and customer enquiries, such as presenting material in a different manner to suit the needs of the customer.
Rewards and benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme
- A range of flexible working options
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
Experience and skills
- Ability to work with external consultants, contractors and suppliers to achieve successful outcomes for the service and to share best practice, knowledge and learning. Create and maintain effective working relationships.
- Excellent literary and numeracy skills to prepare reports, briefings and calculations, undertake research and manage contracts.
- Ability to organise / prioritise work, co-ordinate a variety of tasks in a clear and logical way and meet agreed deadlines which minimises the disruption to the business.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to influence the actions of others and communicate information which may be complex and contentious. Including the ability to negotiate solutions across wide areas of the business and successfully convince others of the need to take a specific course of action.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge and keyboard skills in order to analyse and research complex data and produce reports / statements.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Educated to degree level in Property or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent comparable work experience.
- Qualified member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or currently undertaking APC with a view to qualification. Desirable
- Demonstrate a commitment to undertaking professional development training in line with the requirements of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Desirable
- Experience in surveying, property estate management and valuation, landlord and tenant, planning law and property acquisitions and disposals.
- Some relevant post-graduate experience in the private and / or public sector.
- Sound and accurate knowledge of property databases, maps and plans.
- Demonstrable evidence of providing an effective, efficient professional quality service to a range of customers and clients.
The reference number for this role is CRS00573.
To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and covering letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to referencing and a health check.