Lancaster City Council is committed to providing a clean, green and safe environment for all those who live, work and visit the district and undertake activities that increase the standards of our parks and open spaces through the district new grassland management strategy.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to appoint an experienced and enthusiastic Public Realm Supervisor to join our Grounds Maintenance unit at the City Council. This is a supervisory role within the Public Realm Team and is a permanent post.
This is a dynamic and fast paced role. Primarily this role will focus on maintaining lean frontline operations to optimise efficient service delivery, so it is essential you are confident and able to handle challenging situations. You need to be energetic, decisive, able to manage competing priorities and at times, implement significant changes to ensure circuits are completed by the end of each day.
You will need to have ambitions to positively promote the delivery of Council services and you will:
- hold exceptional management and communication skills,
- have the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse team to deliver operational services in the most efficient and customer driven way,
- lead and manage a small team of team leaders and a large frontline operational workforce,
- have experience of people management and have the ability to ensure performance management is at the forefront of ensuring the delivery of an effective and efficient service,
- monitor, review and recommend improvements driven by information using leading indicators, council policies, leadership skills and core values and competencies,
- have experience managing health and safety and embedding a safe working culture in an operational environment,
- have experience of recruitment, appraisals, investigations and disciplinary hearings and other managerial duties,
- have experience of managing budgets.
It is important you have high standards of delivery and customer service. As well as being determined, you will be resilient, flexible and add value to the team.
A full current UK driving licence is essential to the role as the post holder will be required to drive throughout the district to manage and monitor a widely dispersed workforce.
The hours of work for this position are 37 hours per week, working 5 days out of 7 Monday to Sunday. This post is based at White Lund Depot. Some out of hours work may be required as the business demands. You will be required to work early mornings, some late evenings and some weekends on a rota.
The Council currently operates an excellent Flexible Working Hours Scheme which applies to this post. Subject to the needs of this business, this may allow employees to work between the hours of 6:00am-10:30pm.
Lancaster City Council has unanimously declared a climate emergency and will therefore work towards reducing carbon emissions to net-zero by 2030. As part of this role, you will be expected to participate and work towards reducing carbon emissions.
We are a Forces Friendly employer, and an Armed Forces Covenant committed organisation. We welcome applications from defence reserves and other members of our armed forces community.
Excellent benefits include: A Local Government Pension Scheme (the Council makes a 15.5% contribution). Discounted gym membership and discount on days out, activities and retail.
Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive we are unable to update all applicants individually. If you do not receive a response from us within 2 weeks of the closing date then your application will have unfortunately been unsuccessful in progressing to interview.
Interview date: TBC