Main purpose of role is to assist in the successful running of Medway Council sports centres for the benefit of customers
To learn and develop the skills to:
- provide excellent customer service including face-to-face and over the telephone, ensuring all customer complaints and comments are noted and passed to a supervising member of staff.
- assist sports centre staff in ensuring customers participate in a clean and safe environment.
- assist sports participation team in the successful delivery of sporting events
- assist sports centre staff in delivery of fitness sessions, swim lessons and sports coaching sessions
A Medway Council Apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to earn a salary and gain a qualification whilst gathering invaluable workplace skills and experience.
An opportunity has arisen for a motivated and enthusiastic Sports Officer Apprentice to join the Sport and Leisure team within the Sport and Leisure Service. This is a great chance to gain the Level 2 Leisure Team Member apprenticeship working for the sport and Leisure team.
As part of this role, you can expect to undertake some of the following tasks:
- Customer service
- Supported fitness and sport delivery
- Equipment maintenance and set up
- Using the council booking systems
- Responding to simple queries via telephone or email
Ideally you will have good communication and interpersonal skills, combined with competent IT skills, accurate data entry along with a good attention to detail. However we are happy to support you to reach those goals if you are highly motivated and have the desire to learn and succeed.
If this sounds like the role for you, then we would encourage you to apply today.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile.
As an Apprentice with Medway Council, you will be a valued member of our Apprenticeship Academy. We will encourage and support you to realise your potential. You will have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field and gain insights that can only come from real world experience
We will support you every step of the way for you to succeed in your apprenticeship and help you to become the best version of yourself.
An openness to review and reflect on your performance and progress is important as well as the willingness to accept feedback that will help you to develop and grow in this role.
Medway Council’s Apprenticeship Academy extends to all our Apprentices a guarantee that their apprenticeship qualifications will be regularly monitored and quality assured with the respective training providers.
In return we offer you:
- 23 days paid annual leave
- Generous local government pension
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Free NUS Apprentice Extra Card- student discounts at 100’s of retailers
- Student rates for Medway Council Leisure Centres
- Student rates for Medway Council Libraries plus free e-books
- Discounted Arriva bus travel
Please note that in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines, in regards to social distancing, all interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Tina Spry on 01634 338764
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.