Croydon Registration Service aims to deliver the best possible experience to those officially registering life’s most significant events such as birth, death, marriage, civil partnership or gaining citizenship. These are the daily duties of a Registrar, but alongside these you will enhance the customer journey by providing services such as ’Tell Us Once’ for death registrations. In addition, you will be required to deliver statutory ceremonies of marriage and civil partnership, plus a wide range of non-statutory services for those celebrating other milestone occasions such as renewal of vows.
Accuracy, attention to detail and empathetic skills are essential to work in this field of registering life events precisely and sensitively, but above all you must enjoy working with people experiencing both the emotional high and low points in life.
Due to the nature of the work and current legal requirements this is an office-based post currently located in the Croydon Town Hall.
On appointment you will be required to fulfil practitioner duties in our busy frontline registration offices, therefore previous experience is highly desirable though not essential, training can be provided.
You must also be willing to work weekends and Bank Holidays as required on a rota basis, have a full valid driving license and regular use of a vehicle.
- You need to possess a range of skills and competencies including:
- Incredibly accurate, with an exceptional attention to detail
- Confident in your ability to sensitively and accurately register births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships and citizenships
- Able to follow legal guidelines and procedures
- Competent in the use of a wide range of IT and digital systems
- Approachable, courteous, tactful, enthusiastic, energetic and innovative
- Used to dealing with the pressures of a diverse workload and deadlines, whilst responding flexibly and quickly to changing priorities
- Confident in public speaking and able to command the attention of large groups of people
- An experienced communicator, able to build and maintain relationships in both one to one and group situations
- Exceptionally organised
- Assertive when required
We offer a busy, varied and inherently rewarding position, so if you think this may be the job for you, we welcome your application.
Croydon Council is an inclusive employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Subject to business needs, we will be pleased to consider applications from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements and support hybrid working, whereby staff attend the workplace for part of their working week and work from home, or elsewhere, remotely for the rest of the time.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the advertised role.
Croydon council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment