Neighbourhood Initiatives Officer
Full time - 37 hours
RG5, scp 22 – 28
£27,514 - £32,798
The Neighbourhood Initiatives team is committed to positive and sustainable progress, particularly in Reading’s most deprived neighbourhoods. We believe this can only be achieved when local people have the confidence and support to realise their potential. We work in partnership with local people and a range of other services, agencies and stakeholders to support the delivery of community led initiatives that impact on community safety, crime reduction, health, social cohesion, poverty and economic development.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Working in partnership with local people, the neighbourhood initiatives team will be delivering outcome focused community plans to support the renewal of Reading’s most deprived neighbourhoods. Through partnership with local people and a range of other services, agencies and stakeholders, you will be working on cross cutting projects which impact on community safety, health, social cohesion, poverty and economic development, with a focus on Reading Borough Council’s tenants.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Experience of working in a relevant partnership environment and in working with local communities.
- You must be able to demonstrate experience of managing projects/resources including evaluation.
- A good understanding of problem solving in a multi-agency environment is desirable.
- You should be able to communicate simply and effectively and have experience of IT, in particular use of Word and Excel
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 19th May
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.