Senior Valuation Surveyor
Full time, 37 hours. Permanent
RG9b (scp 45 – 48) £49,702 - £53,287
Hybrid working – Remote, Office & on site based
Our Asset Management team undertake a range of property management functions, commercial and residential property valuations. We play a key role in delivering financial targets, through ensuring that our commercial investments generate income for the Council and effective disposal of surplus assets.
This role offers hybrid working, with a combination of remote working, on site and working from our modern office base in central Reading.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
We want our people to be the best they can and to give them a platform from which they can deliver the highest quality services for our residents. We work in partnership with many organisations delivering properties to be proud of in Reading and we are looking for people who want to make a difference through supporting the best use of our land and property assets.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Undertake a range of corporate property management functions, commercial and residential property valuations
- Provide effective operational and practical property and land advice, including valuation, disposals, acquisitions, landlord and tenant and investment advice
- Negotiate terms for new lettings, acquisition, disposal, and dilapidations claims
- Act as Expert Witness to the Council in any property related Court hearing or Arbitration cases
You will be part of a great team that shares knowledge and works closely with colleagues across the organisation. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do.
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We are looking for someone who can combine property and local authority expertise with inspiration. Someone that enjoys a challenge, can make things happen, whilst never losing sight of the customer. You should be an experienced land and property individual with a track record of managing project and/or project teams to success and the ability and desire to bring out the best in those around you.
- Relevant experience of valuations, ideally in a local government setting
- Membership of the RICS with qualifications to sign off property valuations to Red Book Standard
- Robust understanding of the property market and urban regeneration
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact - email@example.com
Closing Date: 17th May 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Interview Process: Interview and scenario based test
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.