Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
To ensure that tenant involvement is intrinsically linked to providing successful housing management services by ensuring the full and effective involvement of tenants in the development, delivery and review of Housing Landlord Services.
To ensure effective consultation with, and provide information to tenants.
To lead on developing and delivering a comprehensive resident engagement strategy, driving increased engagement with tenants and leaseholders across all aspects of housing landlord services.
You will work closely with both internal and external partners to shape the future of tenant engagement within the Council, with a focus on enhancing the use of digital technology as a way of engagement.
To ensure that all events are delivered to a high standard, well attended, on time and within budget.
- To assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of a Resident Engagement Strategy and action plan, ensuring all teams within housing landlord services contribute actively to the strategy and plan.
- To play an active and proactive part in the organisation of tenant engagement events across housing, ensuring they are well attended, delivered on time and within budget.
- To lead on developing initiatives to increase the engagement of a wide range of tenants and leaseholders at all events and incorporating stakeholder feedback to improve future events. Provide support and advice to tenants and leaseholders that would like to be involved in the organisation of events across their estates.
- Promote, develop and empower tenants to represent themselves more effectively with the council through a range of formal and informal engagement events. To actively develop and encourage tenants to set up new associations, forums and groups.
- To work closely with and support existing residents groups, by attending meetings and providing advice.
- Ensure that the council’s policies, procedures and practices are understood by residents through consultation. To organise Tenants Forums and consultations on housing services, changes to policy, strategy development or reviews on service delivery. To work closely with all other Council officers to ensure that the groups and associations are kept informed of housing services.
- To lead on the development and implementation of a plan to ensure that ‘hard-to reach’ tenant and leaseholder groups are effectively involved in all events and consultation activity.
- To take the lead in facilitating, communicating and collaborative working across directorates within the Council and with external stakeholders ensuring that they are effectively involved in resident engagement events.
- Take responsibility for organising the production of promotional materials and publicity materials for tenant engagement events. Contribute towards the production of relevant publicity material including Tenants’ Newsletters, Annual reports, Council website, press releases and social media.
- To be responsible for the communication with tenants using a wide range of methods to ensure their views are properly represented, and act as an advocate with formal groups to represent and communicate their views
- To actively consider new and innovative ways of doing things recognising and promoting the positive benefit of change to improve services and achieve goals. This should have a focus on utilising digital technology and any support tenants may need to achieve this.
- Attend networking events and forums as appropriate, liaise with other tenant engagement officers within the region to develop positive practice and a joined up approach to tenant engagement.
- To monitor effectiveness of methods of consultation, engagement and tenant groups. To coordinate and/or carry out tenant opinion surveys and Mystery Shoppers projects as a way of reviewing services.
- Responsibility for managing the tenant engagement budget.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to prepare information in plain clear English.
Good IT skills
The ability to work well with different types of people.
Good People Management skills
Knowledge of Gravesham and the wider area.
Good knowledge of tenant engagement within a housing context.
Good knowledge of the engagement methods used for engaging with a wide range of communities.
A relevant qualification and /or experience of consultation and community engagement.
Experience of working with tenants within a housing, development and planning context.
Experience of partnership working within public, private housing and the voluntary sector.
Experience of creating and managing communications with tenants in a variety of environments such as speaking, written and digital environments.
Demonstrate the ability to work on one's own initiative as well as part of a team.
Have an innovative and fresh approach to work and problem solving.
Be self motivated and have the ability to motivate others.
Ability to influence others and gain trust and confidence.
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Jody Bulman Service Manage r(Housing Landlord Services) on 01474 337186.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.