The FIG Health & Social Services Department are looking for a Pharmacist to join our existing team in managing and developing the current pharmacy service to support the delivery of high-quality primary, secondary and community health services by ensuring the safe, economic and effective use of medicines. The pharmacy is the only one in the Falkland Islands and is an integral part of the King Edward Memorial Hospital, based in the Island’s capital, Stanley the service follows UK practices and standards of care, modified to meet local needs and circumstances.
As the sole Pharmacist, working in conjunction with two Pharmacy Technicians and a Pharmacy Assistant, main accountabilities include managing the day to day running of the pharmacy department and when necessary, undertaking core dispensary-based tasks as well as developing and maintaining the hospital drug formulary.
You will also work in collaboration with clinical colleagues and subsequently ensure evidence-based, cost effective prescribing practices are followed by monitoring compliance with the formulary and take the lead role in running the smoking cessation clinic and other primary health clinics, according to the needs of the community and personal skill levels.
- Hold a Master of Pharmacy Degree (or equivalent).
- Be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) or equivalent professional registering body.
- Have a minimum of 3 year’s post-registration experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Management and staff training experience.
- Be able to understand the benefits and challenges of living and working remotely in a small, close-knit community.
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different ways of working.
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £47,156 to £54,372 (inclusive of 25% taxable gratuity) dependent on qualifications and experience rising to £58,248.
- 41 days paid leave, 30 days paid annual leave plus 11 government and public holidays.
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and any recognised dependents residing with you at post both at the beginning and end of contract, along with additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and view further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the position please contact John Woollacott, Hospital Manager by emailing email@example.com or by calling (+500) 28000.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications - 31 May 2022 @ 2030GMT
Shortlisting week commencing - 01 June 2022
Interviews week commencing - 06 June 2022
Health & Social Services
Based out of King Edward VII Memorial Hospital in Stanley, the Health and Social Services directorate provides primary, community and secondary healthcare in the Falkland Islands, as well as social services and welfare provision for those most in need.
Working hours in the pharmacy are 08:00-12:30 and 13:30-16:30 Monday to Friday.
The pharmacy team is comprised of a pharmacist, two pharmacy technicians and a pharmacy assistant.
We are the only source of prescription-only [POM] and pharmacy-only [P] medicines for the local community on the islands.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a UK way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.