Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
The role of a skilled reactive maintenance operative is to carryout minor reactive repairs to carriageways, footways, non-illuminated street furniture and signage to improve the condition of highway network. Within your role you will observe and promote all aspects of Health & Safety and operate at all times within safe practice, ensuring accurate completion of record sheets and any paperwork required by Council procedures.
You will carry out general highway maintenance operations to a high standard including:
o Excavation and reinstatement of carriageways and footways
o Preparation and application of bituminous materials
o Laying of slabs kerbs and channels to the specification
o Installation/repairs of non-illuminated street furniture, signs and barriers
o Repairs to gullies/highway drainage.
o Maintenance of watercourses
o Minor repairs to highway structures and other works within the public realm environment.
o Take part in winter maintenance operations.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who is keen to join the Highways Maintenance team. The successful applicant
- Must be able to carry out work using heavy mechanical equipment
- 7.5t licence
- Hold/commit to gain HGV license within first six months of employment
- Able to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service
- Must be motivated to deliver the service and should have a "Can do'' positive attitude
- Must be a team worker
- Must demonstrate well developed communication and customer care skills
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.