Highways Inspector Team Leader
Full time – 37 hour. Permanent. £32,798 - £35,336
It’s an exciting time for our Highways & Traffic Services Team. Over the last year we’ve taken great strides to modernise our offer; embarking on a Boroughwide Residential Roads & Pavement programme to improve the Council’s highway network. We have also embarked on a Council wide leadership development programme whilst developing an organisational culture through our Team Reading values. Further development plans are in place and we need you to help us achieve them.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
We want our people to be the best they can and to give them a platform from which they can deliver the highest quality services to our residents. Central to this is the delivery of our Statutory Highway obligations, inspecting and reporting on highway defects and liaising with our many stakeholders including MP’s, Councillors, Residents, Utility companies and internal Council departments.
Reporting to the Highway Asset Manager this role will lead the Highway Inspector Team on delivery of key functions including, but not limited to, the statutory cyclical safety inspection programme, redefect reporting and repair ordering and capture of relevant records via mobile technology or through a dedicated street works management system used by the Council. In addition to carrying out routine and reactive safety inspections of the public highway, the role also includes the monitoring, inspection and enforcement of all works within the public highway required under the New Roads & Street Works Act (NRSWA), and ensuring that relevant records are captured, and works orders are raised accordingly
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Employee Performance monitoring
- Management of highway work licences
- Produce reports and information from the asset management system
- Administrative tasks relating to the effective management of the Highway Inspectors Team
- To represent the Highway Authority in technical negotiations and discussions with public utilities, consultants, developers, the emergency services and elected members.
- Assist with management of Highway Projects and Programme Support
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
We’re looking for someone who can combine Highway maintenance expertise with inspirational leadership, someone that enjoys a challenge, can make things happen, whilst never losing sight of the customer, our residents, and users of the public highway. You should be an experienced Highway Inspector with a track record of managing a team to success and the ability and desire to bring out the best in those around you.
- Highway Inspectors experience gained in a large, complex organisation with multiple stakeholders
- A thorough and up to date knowledge of Highways legislation and best practice
- Project management & budget control experience and an understanding of project/programme management methodologies
- Experience of transforming Highway services with an emphasis on customer focus
- Ability to manage a team with a large diverse workload
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
You will be based at our Bennet Road Depot with some working from home required, with some unsociable hours when the need arises.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Bennet Road
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact Richard.email@example.com
Closing Date: 15th May 2022
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Interview Process: Interview either face to face or on TEAMS
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.