At Walsall Council we believe that people should be at the heart of everything we do. In our everyday work, the way we listen, and respond to our customers, and colleagues, will determine the way we grow and bring the Council’s vision to life. Working together with our private and public sector partners we have big ambitions to build on our proud industrial heritage and build a borough fit for the future.
Reporting to the Director of Customer Engagement, this is a newly created post, leading a new team. This is a rare chance to build and shape our approach to delivering excellent Customer Experience for residents and customers.
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Customer Engagement with a proven track record of delivering Excellent Customer Experience. We need a leader who inspires and motivates others. A creative force who keeps abreast of the latest customer service innovations and trends. We need a Head of Customer Engagement who is excellent at building relationships and who works collaboratively.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Championing a customer-centric approach, and challenging others in the organisation to do the same, by helping to embed customer experience principles across the whole council so that we put customers at the HEART of everything that we do.
- Supporting the Director of Customer Engagement to design and lead the Council’s Customer Transformation Programme, achieving high levels of satisfaction amongst customers and residents of Walsall.
- Engaging with staff across the organisation and key partners to ensure that we deliver a joined-up, and valued, experience for residents and customers.
- Leading a multi-disciplined team of over 200 staff, including officers within the Council’s Centralised Customer Experience Team and more specialist customer-facing functions such as Revenues and Benefits and Homelessness.
- Using customer feedback and analytics to help increase market insight and drive innovation to support the Council’s commercial ambitions.
- Overseeing development, consultation and implementation of key specialist strategies and needs assessments.
- Leading the development and delivery of customer engagement activities.
- Promoting creative thinking, thought leadership and influencing across the Council to enable the whole Council to be more innovative, and customer-centric, in the way that it works.
- Deputising for the Director of Customer Engagement when required to do so.
As an employer we provide an attractive employment package that includes:
- A generous annual leave entitlement offering a minimum 28 days leave per year (for this post) plus 9 concessionary days and in addition a flexible working scheme.
- Access to an award-winning pension scheme.
- For this role we foresee the requirement for hybrid working.
- Promotion of training and development opportunities to all our employees to help them progress and gain new skills.
- A genuine commitment to equality of opportunity for our staff and customers – we aim to employ a representative workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
We advertise vacancies because we want the best talent available. If that's you, we're waiting for your application.
Legislation imposes restrictions on political activity for certain local government employees. This position is designated as a politically restricted (sensitive) post as set out in Part 1 the Local Government & Housing Act 1989 and the Local Government (Political Restrictions) Regulations 1990 (LGO(PR)R 1990) [SI 851] and S.30 of the Local Democracy Economic Development and Construction Act 2009.
This post is covered by the Government’s Code of Practice on the English Language Fluency Duty for public sector workers. The postholder will be required to communicate verbally with customers and provide advice and/or information in accurate spoken English.
For this role the successful candidates must undergo a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check. BPSS is the minimum standard to ensure the identity and integrity of an employee who has access to official information using secure networks linking central government and local authorities. A BPSS check involves four main elements; Identity Check, National and Immigration Status, Employment History (last 3 years) and Verification of Criminal Record (unspent convictions only).
For an informal discussion email firstname.lastname@example.org