Consumer Protection Group Manager - Home & office based
Trading Standards, Licensing and Environmental Health - Food and Safety
Full time - 37 hours, Permanent. £49,702 - £53,287
Reading is a place with ambition where your skills and experience can contribute to making a difference. This is an important position within the forward-thinking Economic Growth and Neighbourhood Services Directorate with a focus on delivering services that protect place and the public through the development of policy and the delivery of advice and where necessary enforcement.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced manager to join our team helping to shape our Public Protection service during a period of change and opportunity. The role will play a key part on integrating enforcement services to provide an innovative and holistic Public Protection service, which maximises resources and explores opportunities for commercial which support economic growth.
The service has played a critical role throughout the Covid-19 pandemic and re-enforced the need for a multi-disciplinary approach to regulation. Reporting to the Public Protection Manager and working with a team of motivated professionals, you will:
- Have responsibility for leading the Trading Standards, Licensing and Food and Safety teams
- Planning the work of the team
- Managing expenditure and securing resources
- Working with residents and stakeholders to support the delivery and development of policy
- Innovating and developing relationships which contribute to the delivery of the Council’s objectives.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
- You will need to be an experienced people manager who is adept at successfully managing relationships internally and externally and who has a vision for how Public Protection functions can combine to deliver for Reading.
- You will have a demonstrable track record of leading enforcement teams and managing resources whilst also having the customer focus required to deliver front line services.
- You will have proven experience in planning and setting priorities for multi-disciplined teams to meet service and corporate objectives.
- You will be someone that enjoys a challenge and can make things happen, who has a thorough and up to date knowledge of legislation and best practice.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment. We are currently operating a hybrid working model which includes working from the Council’s centrally placed Civic Offices and working from home.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement – 30 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 15th May 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.