Housing Options Officer (P01695)
37 hours per week
Starting salary £28,154pa with potential progression to £34,765pa on achieving designated skills and experience
Are you effective at negotiating?
Are you able to find creative solutions for people who are threatened with homelessness?
Could you convince a landlord to change their mind about evicting their tenants?
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council are looking for someone to join the Housing Options team as a full time permanent member of staff.
You will be responsible for providing housing advice and assistance to households who are homeless or threatened with homelessness.
You will prioritise the prevention of homelessness, assisting customers to improve their situation so that they can remain in stable accommodation and will do this by negotiating with landlords and relatives to prevent homelessness.
You will work towards getting single people and couples away from a life on the streets and help accommodate families and vulnerable people when they have lost or are unable to remain in existing accommodation.
You will demonstrate your ability to deal with emotionally challenging cases in difficult situations, providing advice to members of the public and determining what legal duties are owed to customers who approach the Council for assistance.
We are looking for someone with:
- An interest in providing high quality public services to the local community
- Experience of working with the public and providing excellent levels of customer service
- The ability to negotiate with others and find solutions to complicated situations
- Experience of working with several IT systems and ability to learn new systems to a high standard
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- An interest in learning about homelessness and developing or increasing their understanding of homelessness legislation and case law.
If you are passionate about helping people and assisting those in housing need, and also thrive under pressure and enjoy team working – we want to hear from you. The council have developed a ‘One Team’ approach to working and this relies on each and every person working collaboratively to deliver shared goals. To be a positive influence on this environment, you’ll need to be able to support others and be a genuine team player.
What the council is really looking for is someone with a true customer focus, an understanding of what great customer service involves and a commitment to delivering outstanding results.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 15 May 2022.
Assessments will be held on Thursday 19 May 2022, with interviews on Wednesday 25 May 2022.