Corporate Contracts Manager
Full time 37 hours
RG10 (scp 50 - 53)
£55,838 - £60,005
We are implementing a ‘Hub & Spoke’ model of procurement and contract management, with the central ‘Hub’ providing strategic advice and support to the Directorate ‘Spokes’ throughout the contract lifecycle, operating as an internal consultancy. In addition, the team are responsible for the design and implementation of a best practice process and guidance framework for the whole of the contract lifecycle to proactively deliver the best overall value from our supplier relationships. As part of ‘leading by example’, the Councils contract for the provision of Children’s Services with the Council owned company, Brighter Futures for Children is managed within the team.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Procurement and Contracts, this role is key to delivering a step-change in contract management across the Council, responsible for leading the development of a contract management best practice framework and subsequent implementation as well as supporting key commercial negotiations. As part of this, the role is also the lead for the active commercial management of the Council’s contract for the provision of Children’s Services (approx. contract value £48m per annum) with Brighter Futures for Children (BFfC) to maximise its operational and financial performance and minimise risk. Linked to this, the role also acts as the Council’s representative for Council SLA’s with BFfC for provision of support services, being the single point of contact for the company to discuss and address performance issues with the support services being supplied by the Council.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- As is key for any contract and supplier relationship management role, the ability to build robust relationships with Council stakeholders, and specifically in this instance with BFfC, will be crucial.
- You will be experienced in managing strategically important, complex contracts in the public or private sector, including but not limited to experience of effective change management, performance management and commercial negotiation with proven results.
- You will also have demonstrable experience of leading and delivering change projects and programmes building on best practice frameworks and processes, that have delivered in turn enabled cultural change, as well as a demonstrable improvement in services and increased efficiencies across an organisation.
- Relevant professional qualification, such as IACCM (International Association for Contract and Commercial Management), or a recognised business qualification desirable.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 16th May
Interview Date: 23rd May
Interview Process: Presentation and panel interview
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.