Highways and Transport delivers safe and effective transport that offers choice, is convenient to use, enhances the environment and enables economic growth.
The service is based on the following principles:
- We will deliver services in line with the West Sussex Plan and our statutory responsibilities
- Our services support community resilience.
- We will use our resources wisely to ensure value for money.
- We will put the customer at the heart of everything we do.
For more information, please visit our dedicated West Sussex County Council website!
Reward and benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme, employer contribution 5.8% (2.8% above average).
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- Developing towards professional qualifications (eg Chartered or Incorporated Engineer) encouraged and supported with up to one membership of a professional institution paid for by WSCC
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 a year through our West Sussex Choices benefits platform (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
About the job
Salary: £33,486 to £36,371
Working Pattern: Full Time, 37 Hours.
Contract Length: Permanent.
Location: Based at Chichester, working across the county. Flexible working available.
Interview Date: Week commencing 02/05/2022.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our forward-thinking Highways Projects / Improvements team. Giving you the opportunity to deliver projects and schemes with the co-ordination, implementation and promotion of county council policy and good engineering practice. The purpose of this role is to support the team in delivering a programme of highway improvement projects, as well as providing professional and technical expertise to guide on highways project related issues.
The Highways Improvements team delivers schemes ranging from small to large scale such as: Dropped crossings, pedestrian refuges, small junction improvements, strategic cycle scheme, traffic management and calming, town centre improvement, public realm, safety audit service, speed management and casualty reduction.
You will liaise with all internal clients, advising them on suitability of schemes for the forward programme. You will have full responsibility for schemes from concept to implementation. Throughout you will manage consultants and be responsible for consultation and stakeholder management. This will also include contract administration and managing our framework contractors.
Experience and skills
- Ability to identify problems and resolve issues independently, making sound pragmatic decisions which will have an impact on the service.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to seek and introduce continuous improvement and innovation, for self and team.
- Ability to contribute to the planning of the service, making effective judgements to review activities and service provision.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills to prepare reports / briefs, programmes of work, undertake research and maintain budgets / accounts.
- Sound analytical and judgemental skills to analyse and interpret varied and complex technical data / information, situations and surveys and develop solutions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to provide complex, technical specialist advice and guidance to a range of audiences, including non-specialists.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships and influence the behaviour and conduct of colleagues to ensure the highest level of service.
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of external consultants, contractors and suppliers.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- BTEC HNC or degree qualification, Incorporated Engineer or post-graduate qualification within the specialist area, or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of advanced applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- Detailed and thorough knowledge of relevant highways and transportation standards and procedures, including a broad understanding of civil engineering design and construction procedures, techniques and statutory procedures.
- Relevant advanced theoretical or organisational knowledge of systems, procedures and policies associated with operating a demanding and customer focussed service.
- Demonstrable evidence of applying specialist knowledge and providing advice in relation to specific specialist area.
- Political awareness when working with Members / senior management.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge to carry out service-related processes, e.g. specialist engineering databases / software, Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrable evidence of managing an effective, efficient professional quality service to a range of customers and clients.
- Experience of mentoring and providing on-the-job training to other team members to meet objectives and deliver a professional service.
- Experience of managing and monitoring budgets or projects for a specific service within a specialist, technical service.
The reference number for this role is EIE00923.
To apply, upload your CV and attach a cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
There is a requirement to be able to travel independently to various locations around the county, often to remote locations. There will be an occasional need to undertake walked site inspections and safety audits, to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, and to carry surveying or computer equipment. Such visits could take place in adverse weather conditions or on busy highways.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!