Could you lead and develop a new strategic procurement function for a thriving island community? Are you a Chartered Member of the Institute of Procurement and Supply, with experience across all areas of supply chain and contract management? If so, come and use your skills and knowledge to support our ambitious plans of capital investment and infrastructure development here in the Falkland Islands.
A new senior role, you will lead and develop the procurement function within Falkland Islands Government (FIG), building in-house capability, procurement processes and systems to ensure the effective governance of spend and management of contracts.
The function delivers a critical commercial and operational service, sourcing day-to-day goods and services worth around £25 million per year, as well as supporting an ambitious capital projects plan in excess of £110m over the next five years.
We are looking for a highly-experienced procurement specialist, with Chartered Membership of the Institute of Procurement and Supply, who is able to analyse the current status of procurement within the organisation and build a new strategic function, which will set direction and build capability, in order to embed good governance and processes across the full procurement cycle.
You will be comfortable with ambiguity, able to take a long-term strategic approach and set clear direction for others. You will need strong negotiation and communication skills, able to provide critical advice to senior leaders and lead on resolution of vendor disputes.
You will also need to take an active approach to market-building, recognising the challenges of operating in a remote location, where there is a need to promote strong long-term local supplier participation and partnerships, as well as influencing the behaviour of international supply markets, especially vendors in the UK.
- At least ten years relevant experience in a mid-sized public sector or not-for-profit organisation or in a private sector company, with significant experience serving public sector clients.
- Degree in a relevant subject, such as Business, Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Logistics or another related field.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) or equivalent.
- Proven experience of senior leadership within a procurement function, implementing and sustaining effective change and building capability within a team.
- Strong influencing and communication skills, able to build lasting partnerships and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Initial 2 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range £48-66k, starting salaries will be dependent upon experience.
- 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you settle in.
The Working Environment
Development & Commercial Services
The Development & Commercial Services directorate is responsible for the development of ‘Place’ across the Falkland Islands, ensuring that the activities of Planning, Development, Regeneration, Leisure Services, Corporate Programmes and Procurement operate in a co-ordinated manner to efficiently and effectively enable the achievement of the Government’s priorities and successful delivery of the National Infrastructure Plan.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.
How to Apply
Please complete our online application form.
Applications will be open until 19.00 UK Time (15.00 Falklands Time) on Friday 21 September 2018.
Please note, the original deadline has been extended from 3 September 2018 to allow sufficient time for local applications to be considered.
If you have any questions about this vacancy and how to apply, you can contact our HR team on firstname.lastname@example.org