WSCC operate a range of home to school and adults services transport routes across the County.
Our aim at WSCC is to provide a reliable and safe transport service to our residents ensuring consistency for all passengers and service users.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
We are looking for Minibus and Car Drivers to join our School Transport team based across the county.
Salary Range: £10.97 - £11.20 per hour (includes annual leave element).
Work Location: Broad Bridge Heath Depot, Horsham and Clapham Depot (near Worthing), Drayton Depot (near Chichester).
Hours per week: Casual Hours (Split Shift: 7am -10am / 2pm - 5pm).
As a School Minibus/Car Driver, you will provide an efficient driving service to children and young adult passengers. You will follow instructions in accordance with specified schedules to ensure West Sussex meets its commitments to customers.
You will undertake driving duties of an allocated vehicle of 4 - 16 seats to and from a variety of locations, using a high level of professionalism in a safe and appropriate way. You will communicate effectively with passengers, build trusting relationships and drive considerately in accordance with the Highway Code regulations.
This is a rewarding role, giving you the opportunity to broaden your experience in many areas in a lively customer facing environment. You will also undertake the following courses:
- Disability Awareness & Epilepsy Awareness.
- First Aid.
- Wheelchair tie down procedures.
- Challenging Behaviour as required.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to drive safely and considerately in accordance with the Highway Code regulations.
- Ability to communicate successfully with colleagues and passengers, build trusting relationships and exercising persuasive skills.
- Ability to resolve straightforward problems.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills gained through education or through relevant experience.
- Valid UK driving licence including category D1 or PCV. Desirable
- Experience of working with people with disabilities. Desirable
- Experience of operating a tail lift/ramp safely and securing wheelchairs on the vehicle. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive pay.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00874 .
Struggling to apply? Book onto a Computer Buddy Session in a library near you to get help navigating our application form.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing reference only