Park Ranger Apprenticeship Pathway
Salary: £18,615 pa (pro rata if working less than 35 hours per week)
Location: Various - The Apprenticeships will be based at Spa Fields, Tufnell Park or Islington Ecology Centre
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Park Ranger Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 24-month opportunity to build on your problem solving and customer care skills whilst working towards a Horticulture and Landscaping qualification. There are 4 roles available and following the initial application process, the successful applicant will join Islington Council’s Park Service to work within the community to improve local parks, providing effective and efficient support service to residents and designated team. This role will involve working outside in all weather conditions as well as involving regular heavy lifting and physical activity.
The Job – There are 4 Park Ranger Apprenticeships available, each working with a different Area Parks Team. Working as a Park Ranger Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Work in a number of different green spaces in the borough
- Help to run community events in parks, for example gardening groups and children’s activities
- Help to inspect parks to ensure they are safe for visitors
- Support and liaise with Friends of Parks Groups
- Deal with customer enquiries
There is one Nature Conservation Apprenticeship available, based at Islington Ecology Centre. Working as a Nature Conservation Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Help to inspect the Council’s 3 nature reserves to ensure they are safe for visitors
- Work independently on the nature reserves to maintain them for both wildlife and people
- Work with volunteers to help them carry out gardening and nature conservation tasks
- Help with tasks in the Ecology Centre for example setting up for room hires and carrying out safety checks
- Help to run events, for example family fun activities
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 2 apprenticeship qualification in Horticulture and Landscaping funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council.
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your apprenticeship you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Park Ranger Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about good customer service.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently be qualified in Horticulture and Landscaping at level 2 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 16th September 2018
Interview Date: October 2018
Apprenticeship Start Date: January 2019
The Parks Management Team will be holding a 1-hour informal information session about these roles providing you with an opportunity to meet the team, find out more about the role and have a tour of the facilities on 7th September at 11am. This is an optional session, you do not have to attend in order to apply for this role however if you would like to do so, please contact Geeta Tailor on 020 7527 1809 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for a place.
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk