Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have a new opportunity for a Communications and Engagement Lead supporting our Internal Communications and Strategic Consultations. WSCC is a diverse organisation that provides services to more than 850,000 residents every day. Our teams use their experience to enable and challenge the Council to deliver improved efficiency and effectiveness.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website.
Salary: £40,876 to £43,857 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
As our council's Communications and Engagement Lead for Internal Communications and Strategic Consultations, you will keep all staff across the council fully informed and engaged, whilst also providing essential advice and support to the organisation's senior leadership team and supporting council departments. In addition, you will play a vital role in delivering our busy programme of consultations throughout the year.
You will design and deliver the council's internal communications strategy to maintain outstanding levels of staff engagement, working across the county council's internal communication channels.
You will maintain effective oversight of our internal communication channels, as well as researching and scoping potential new channels. A key focus will be to help lead the delivery of a new intranet that will sustain the organisation's internal communications needs well into the future.
You will help provide support to the Executive and Corporate Leadership teams by sharing their messages in the most effective way, delivering the corporate aims and helping to increase senior officer visibility. The role includes supporting the council priorities by promoting and helping to deliver Our Council Plan 2021-25, the corporate business plans and the associated KPIs.
You will also be required to support services with internal promotional and behavioural change campaigns. The role includes supporting the communications for core areas of the business, such as IT, HR, Finance, and Organisational Development. This includes delivering key internal messages to a diverse and geographically spread workforce in a timely manner. You will also be expected to lead or contribute to a number of projects at any one time.
You will also oversee the effective delivery of the council's public consultation function to meet our legal obligations and to deliver meaningful engagement beyond the statutory requirements. This includes overseeing our new 'Your Voice: Digital Engagement Hub'.
Experience and Skills
You will have demonstrable experience of working within internal communications in a complex, large and political organisation. You will have experience of personally devising and delivering strategic communications advice at all levels.
In addition you will be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Ability to lead and manage a small team of communications professionals delivering internal communications and consultations under your direction.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence the actions of others and communicate information which may be complex and contentious. Including the ability to develop solutions in group settings, gain engagement/buy-in and agreement from others by successfully convincing them of the need to adopt appropriate policies and/or courses of action.
- Ability to work with senior directors, politicians and managers to develop solutions based on service need, understanding the relevant issues, engaging the appropriate colleagues and partners, and gaining approvals for the recommended proposal within agreed delivery timescales and budget.
- Ability to research, analyse and interpret complex information to make effective and robust judgements.
- Experience of the latest consultation and engagement processes, digital platforms, survey building and results analysis in a political and sensitive environment.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Recognised Internal Communications qualification, related degree or equivalent experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of the modern internal communications environment, including practical experience of delivering engaging digital communications and launching new platforms.
- Experience in researching, scoping, recommending, implementing and managing new digital communication platforms aligned to identified business needs.
- Detailed knowledge and demonstrable experience in gathering and using insight to inform communications campaigns and analysing data to evaluate the impact of communications activity.
- Experience of using multimedia communications to deliver messaging to different audiences across a variety of channels.
- Experience in managing a dynamic corporate intranet, including development of new content and platforms to meet changing organisational needs - Desirable
- Detailed knowledge of the wider communications, consultation and engagement best practice, organisational policies, practices and procedures, including knowledge of campaign management, media relations, and engagement activity - Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00551.