In March 2021 the Government published Bus Back Better - The National Bus Strategy for England. The Strategy focuses on Transport Authorities and Bus Companies entering into formal Enhanced Partnerships to form a path out of the COVID-19 pandemic and to deliver better bus services. This is to provide sustainable services that residents choose to use instead of cars, contributing to tackling climate change and social isolation.
West Sussex County Council has published an ambitious Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP), in partnership with the Bus Companies that will be used by the West Sussex Enhanced Partnership to take the steps to providing the better bus offer for residents, visitors, and businesses. The ambitions include more frequent services, better rural transport, reduced fares, low and zero emission vehicles, improved bus infrastructure and information and working more closely with passenger groups to improve satisfaction. We want to provide services that not only meet local needs, but that residents and visitors want to use to improve their travel choices and contribute to reducing their climate impact.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
Salary: £40,876 - £45,859 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Contract Length: 3-year, Fixed term or Secondment
Location: County Hall, Chichester
Interview Date: 28 February 2022
To make this happen, we are looking for a Principal Team Leader who has relevant public transport and management skills to lead a team to deliver the BSIP. You will work with bus companies, community transport providers, colleagues across the Council and with other local Councils as the lead on the BSIP and future planning and delivery of local bus services. Some of this work will be undertaken working closely with East Sussex County Council.
You will have a strong understanding and appreciation of what users of buses and community transport need.
This post is initially for 3 years but may be extended if needed and agreed by the Partners.
As the Principal Team Leader, reporting to the Transport Co-ordination Manager, you will lead a team of public transport planning and information staff to deliver the funded ambitions through key projects including promotions and network reviews. You will also lead on future bids for funds from the Department for Transport and be the key contact on bus related matters for new housing and business developments. This will involve working with senior staff and professionals in the Highways, Transport & Planning Directorate to ensure Enhanced Partnership's plans are delivered.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to organise, plan, set and meet targets e.g., for timely completion of a series of projects. Ability to forward plan over the long term, making effective judgements to continuously develop and review the effectiveness of service and staff to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a range of senior partners and create and maintain effective working relationships. Including the ability to influence them to make appropriate decisions to ensure projects and service changes are completed within the parameters set and to adhere to them where needed.
- Ability to deliver a comprehensive public bus and community transport network planning and management service. Normally demonstrated by evidence of supporting / contributing to high risk / high value projects and services and contributing into policy / procedural reviews and objective setting.
- Sound and accurate IT skills for word processing, analysing and researching data and creating electronic presentations, and the ability to investigate and troubleshoot system-related problems and provide solutions.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Educated to degree level in a passenger transport related discipline, or equivalent level of experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Member of Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CIHT) - Desirable
- Significant experience and understanding of public transport solutions.
- Experience of delivering high profile projects and service enhancements.
- Extensive network planning and development.
- Management of large-scale budgets / expenditure.
- Management and development of teams of staff delivering key projects.
- Significant experience of negotiation in complex areas with large numbers of stakeholders.
- Report writing experience, including for senior / political reports.
- Project and / or Programme Management experience - Desirable
The reference number for this role is EIE00886 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Bill Leath (Transport Coordination Manager) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .