As a Night Childcare Worker, you will ensure that all children's and young people's physical and emotional night care needs are met. This may include managing challenging behaviour and providing personal care, advice, assistance and support.
Your main responsibilities will be to help children and young people settle into night-time and morning routines, such as washing, getting up in the morning and getting ready for bed and to assist in the provision and preparation of meals in the Home. The support enables our children and young people to maintain and improve their skills and daily lives in line with individual care plans.
There are many challenges, but we support each other to overcome these and work closely with many other professionals which enables us to provide high quality of care to our children, in a homely and caring environment.
For further informaiton please visit our dedicated Residential website, Careers in Children's Residential Care.
- Communication and interpersonal skills in order to provide clear and concise advice and specialist guidance to a range of children and families
- Ability to promote and encourage a multi-agency approach to support the child
- Ability to use IT to write detailed accurate and factual written reports
- Ability to use initiative to resolve problems within given parameters
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise work
- Ability to work as part of a team around a child
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Good standard of literacy e.g. ability to write reports around individual young people and significant incidents and to be able to write application for level 3 diploma. Could be gained through formal education or vocational experience
- A Level 3 Diploma in Residential Childcare or equivalent qualification (this can be gained on the job but must be applied for within one month of commencing employment and must be completed within 2 years of the date of commencement of employment)
- Knowledge of Children's home regulations 2015 (England)
- Knowledge of how to support children who have experienced trauma, harm or abuse
- Previous childcare experience, preferably in a residential setting
- Experience of working with children with disabilities, complex high-risk adolescents or related experience e.g. adults with disabilities
If you do not hold a Maths and English GCSE, you can apply for Maths and English Keyskills before undertaking your Childcare qualification. You can find out more about gaining a Maths and English Keyskill on the Government website Improve your English, Maths and IT Skills
Please be advised you are required to bring certificates for your Maths and English (C and above) and any Childcare qualifications you hold.
Rewards and Benefits
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
In accordance with the vaccine priorities, all our residential staff have the opportunity to take up a COVID vaccine and we are fully supportive of the ongoing NHS plans to roll out the vaccine to all Health and Social Care staff across West Sussex.
The safety of our employees is of upmost importance to us, and candidates that are successful at interview will be subject to a pre-employment risk assessment, where risks related to COVID-19 will be discussed and where possible suitably mitigated.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03215
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact one of the below;
Blue Cove, Worthing - Emma Gibbons (Registered Manager)
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter, explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role, ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered.
*please state in your cover letter your location preference or Home preference*
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.