Environmental Officer (Recycling and Enforcement)
Full time – 37 hours Permanent
RG5B 22 – 25 £27,041 - £29,577
Office based/ site visits using pool car
Would you like to become part of our Recycling and Enforcement team at Reading Borough Council? We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who has a passion for the environment that can help increase the recycling rates in Reading. In addition to recycling activities, the team will carry out the enforcement activity across the borough, which will include investigating fly tipping, littering, and commercial waste licenses.
There are opportunities to develop a range of skills, as well as completing a WAMITAB-accredited course in enforcement.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
You will be required to:
- Assist in developing waste minimisation and recycling improvement campaigns and then executing the project in accordance with the agreed objectives and plans.
- Engaging with the public to encourage behaviour change that increases recycling and to achieve a minimum agreed number of engagements each year.
- Engaging with business owners to ensure compliance with their waste disposal duty of care requirements.
- Investigate environmental crime on behalf of citizens and other stakeholders and utilise the full range of statutory powers to take robust enforcement action to tackle recurrent offending behaviour.
- To collect and/or provide evidence against persons suspected of committing environmental crime, maintaining accurate records/statements, assisting with the preparation of prosecution/court files and giving evidence in Court as necessary.
- Engage with landowners to encourage prompt clearance of waste and to advise on fly-tipping prevention measures.
- Assist in the continued roll out of the food waste collection service, working with residents, managing agents, and landlords.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You will need to be dynamic, forward thinking, and passionate to help make the team a success!
- Experience of working within a waste management/ recycling environment
- Understanding of the Environmental Protection Act in terms of Council’s Duties, and Householder’s and Landlords responsibility
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Able to prioritise and organise work effectively
- Greater understanding of recycling issues within the UK, and Reading
- A team player who can adapt easily to changing needs and priorities
- Ability to use Microsoft Office packages
- Full UK Driving License
Other criteria is listed in the Person Specification on the JD
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact Alice.Rampling@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 23rd January 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.