Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our Children & Adult Services Directorate, as the ‘SQL Database Report Writer’.
The main purpose of this role is to develop and create all new reports and amendments of existing reports from:
- Mosaic - the Social Care system
- Synergy – the Education system
- Core+ - the Youth Services case management system
The successful candidate must be skilled in the use of SQL to provide statistical and performance management information for the Children and Adult Services Directorate.
To succeed you will need:
- The ability to use SQL through RDBMS systems such as SSMS and Oracle Developer to produce complex reports and provide management information. This is essential.
- To work with customers to develop report specification criteria.
- The demonstrable ability to use well developed communication skills to present/complex sensitive information in an understandable way to a range of audiences
- To be a true team player, you will be customer focused, have excellent communication skills and work well under pressure.
It is essential for the post holder to have:
- Good general level of education (Five GCSEs or equivalent, including Maths & English)
- High level of numeracy and literacy, oral and written, and with a relevant computing related qualification.
- Proven track record of producing complex SQL reports from large/multiple databases using different technology
- Able to build complex reports using SQL – minimum 1 year implementation, design and build experience is essential
- Strong experience in the use of SQL to extract data
- Be able to test and validate reports once completed and ensure quality standards are met
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines and manage conflicting priorities
- Standard DBS check
It is desirable however for the post holder to have:
- Knowledge of reporting tools such as SSRS, PowerBI & Crystal
- Experience of working in a Local Authority with Education, Youth Offending or Social Care Systems
In return, we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, call Rebecca Hood 01634 334324.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.