We are a Learning Disability Day Service whose aims to provide high quality support to adults with complex learning disabilities on a 1:1, 1:2 and 1:4 ratio basis, regardless of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
The post will be proving personal care to vulnerable female services users therefore we are seeking female applicants only.
You will be based at Strathy Close Day Service, Tilehurst, Reading, RG30 2PP
Full Time - 37 hours per week
Monday - Thursday - 8.45am – 4.15pm
Friday - 8.45am-3.45pm
About the Role
We are looking for dynamic and innovative person with practise working in a care setting, to join our existing experienced and skilled staff team.
You will be required to actively plan activities and care plans whilst work towards achieving a user lead service, where service users are encouraged and supported to develop their independence, build positive relationships and be empowered to make informed choices as well as experience a fulfilling outcome focused Day Service, whilst accessing mainstream services with the appropriate support.
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to lead activities and other staff, act as a keyworker, manage and assess risk whilst also working as part of a team.
Enhanced DBS check will be required.
Evidence of COVID 19 vaccination required.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of working in a care or support setting
- Good general education, to include good literacy skills
- NVQ3/Level 3 Diploma in Care and Promoting Independence or commitment to achieving this
- A commitment to delivering Person Centred Support to a range of individuals
- Able to relate to service users and meet their needs, with a sense of understanding, patience, respect and dignity
- Ability to offer stimulating activities to individuals and groups of people
- Ability to assess, record and plan risk and strategies
- Ability to carry out personal care duties with dignity and respect
- Ability to undertake manual handling tasks
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as on own initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally
- Ability to be self motivating
- Proficient IT skills
You will also demonstrate a commitment to anti oppressive practice along with a flexible attitude to travelling around and working in the local area.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day Nursery at the Civic Offices) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
For an informal discussion of the above posts please contact Ronnie Chapman, Assistant Team Manager on 0118 937 5346 or Veronica.Chapman@reading.gov.uk.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.