An exciting time to join Cotswold District Council.
Cotswold District is a great place to live, work and visit, and we are rightly proud of our businesses, communities and residents. We are busy recreating a council that’s pro-active and responsive to the needs of our residents and businesses in a fast changing environment. That means we need to be ‘fleet of foot’ and look for innovative and creative ways to deliver against our Corporate Plan priorities.
Are you a genuine team player? Do you enjoy variety in your work?
If so, you will be welcomed as part of a friendly team who provide a comprehensive in-house legal service. You will be a qualified legal professional who is able to provide advice upon a range of matters.
Working autonomously within the required area of expertise, to provide a quality legal service to Cotswold District Council, Forest of Dean District Council and West Oxfordshire District Council. You will be required to provide the provision of legal advice generally, including to all Council Officers and Members and providing advice on probity and lawfulness issues relating to decisions by or conduct of the Council.
About the role…
The successful candidate will be a highly organised team worker who can respond to deadlines, work promptly under pressure using initiative, adopts a proactive approach, has excellent customer services skills, a high standard of communication and is proficient with MS Word, Excel & PowerPoint. The ability to adapt to changing situations is essential.
You will undertake legal casework with limited supervision generated by the Council including: Advising Officers on the exercise of the powers allocated to them and to draft Notices, Orders and Agreements as appropriate.
You will be the main contact and be responsible for the provision of legal advice to the Contracts and the Procurement Service, which will include commissioning, company/commercial and relate to decisions and activities of the Councils of high complexity and value and/or substantial corporate importance and will undertake original drafting of complex documentation for contracts and other contract and procurement related matters on behalf of the Councils including transactions at a strategic level and of a complex nature and provide corporate advice on matters affecting local government.
This is a replacement role covering the Cotswolds, famous for quintessentially English market towns and villages built from honey-coloured stone. With a range of gently rolling hills and the largest area of outstanding natural beauty in England making it a perfect base for walking and cycling, you will have this right on your doorstep. With our agile working ethos: you will be spoilt for choice.
You will need…
- To be a Fully qualified Solicitor or Legal Executive
- Evidence of and commitment to Continuous Professional Development
- 3-5 years’ experience in one, or a combination of the following fields: Contracts, Procurement and Local Government.
- Experience of time management and task prioritisation to meet inflexible deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and sustain relationships with a variety
of people both within and external to the Council;
- Ability to travel
For more information about this role please see the Job Description/Person Specification, please click the apply button below.
Please note that it is intended that the post holder will be based at the Council Offices, Trinity Road, Cirencester. However, the successful candidate will have to travel to Forest of Dean District
Council or West Oxfordshire District Council from time to time.
If you need further details please contact Susan Gargett, Interim Head of Legal Services on
01285 623223 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for CV’s: Sunday 23rd January 2022 at midnight
Interview Date: Week commencing Monday 31st January 2022
What can we do for you…
- agile working allowing a mix of home and office working
- flexible working arrangements
- 26 days paid annual leave (pro rata if you are working part time) plus bank holidays, which increases to 29 days after five years of service
- in addition you will have an extra two volunteering days a year for you to support a charity of your choice
- health cash plan giving you cash back on health, dental and eye care
- generous contributory local government pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- cycle to work scheme
- salary sacrifice car lease scheme with huge tax and NI savings to be made on electric cars
- paid for access to digital financial advice (covering mortgages and other finances)
- generous sickness cover above statutory entitlements
Terms and conditions apply.
These are just a handful of the benefits that you can enjoy when you join us!
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.