Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have new opportunities for procurement Managers. Increasing demographic pressures, continuing challenges to provide residents and communities with greater levels of choice and control over services, and the tighter financial constraints placed on the authority, mean that the Council needs to continually review the way it operates. Working with elected Members, the leadership team has set out a clear vision of how we will continue to deliver for our residents over the next five years. This plan will provide the vision and direction, as well as the framework for our organisation and our collective partnership working across West Sussex. It is now our job, with our Members, to deliver on these commitments for and on behalf of our residents. Working for us is all about making a positive difference to the people of West Sussex.
To find out more information on WSCC and our services please visit our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: £40,876 to £43,857 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
The purpose of the role is to manage end to end procurement and contract management activities associated with tender management and contract management disciplines. The Council had adopted a category-led approach and we are recruiting for two Procurement Managers, in this role you will primarily support the corporate resources and or one each in our "People" and "Place" category teams. Supporting stakeholders with the entire procurement cycle and managing the tenders via e-Sourcing portals, you will deliver value for money outcomes through effective and compliant procurement processes.
You will support the development and implementation of robust sub-category strategies for the category that optimise performance for the business in terms of cost, quality, delivery and responsiveness. You will manage and support on projects and sub-categories and be responsible for contributions to a category.
Experience and Skills
Able to demonstrate the relevant skills and experience, you will be someone that provides strong procurement advice for categories of spend. Key competency areas include technical procurement, influencing, change and stakeholder management, both internally and externally to support outcomes within a complex operating environment. You will also be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
- Communication: Communicates clearly and is capable of adapting communication styles to suit the audience.
- Negotiation: Demonstrates a range of skills in negotiation and when to apply these.
- Stakeholder Management: Good stakeholder management skills, demonstrating ability to engage with stakeholders at multi levels.
- Managing Procurement Process: Has the capacity to manage multiple small and medium sized projects with capability to oversee and run tenders.
- Analysis: Is able to conduct analysis/ verify analysis on data sets to provide concise insights.
- Change Management: Understands change management and process improvement with experience in supporting change.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Has a good understanding of commercial risks and exposures and can demonstrate application of this.
- Understanding of supplier management and can demonstrate management of a supplier over time, tracking SLA's and compliance.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the latest sub-category area of expertise - shares knowledge where appropriate.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering total cost of ownership savings.
- Experience of delivering and implementing category and sourcing strategies, supporting the delivery of multiple strategies for various sub-categories.
- Developing project leadership and management capabilities and experience, can demonstrate capacity to manage multiple small and medium sized projects.
- Demonstrates ability to challenge existing processes - seeks to improve through change.
- Knowledge of EU procurement processes, using Government procurement frameworks.
- Working towards MCIPS or willingness to study for CIPS.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to the following benefits:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Generous Pension Scheme
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00540.