Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have a new opportunity for a Climate Change Policy & Partnerships Manager. The County Council has set itself an ambitious target to be Carbon Neutral by 2030, and its Climate Change strategy sets a further and equally ambitious target to be resilient and adapted to our changing climate. With a clear role to lead, enable and inspire change within the organisation and more widely with partners and communities across the County and beyond, there is a proven need for talented, informed and influential leadership.
The Sustainability Team at the County Council has a long reputation of informing and influencing the Council's focus and activities in this area, with notable achievements in carbon emission reduction, national representation on adaptation panels, delivery of sustainability initiatives and an increasing focus on the benefits of a high-quality natural environment.
To find out more information on WSCC and our services please visit our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: £40,876 to £43,857 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: Fixed Term Contract until 28/02/2023
Location: County Hall, Chichester and working from home
Interview date: 10 February 2022
The purpose of this role is to develop & maintain a comprehensive policy programme and fully engaged stakeholder network at a local, regional and national level to facilitate delivery of the WSCC Climate Change Strategy.
Experience and Skills
We're looking for someone with a passion for bringing about constructive change, able to resolve complexity and be effective in an evolving delivery landscape as we implement our ambitious Climate Change Strategy with the principal goals of achieving carbon neutrality in WSCC operations by 2030 whilst working with partners to secure long term resilience to climate change across West Sussex. You will be confident in providing expert-level input into related policies and programmes on a wide variety of climate-related themes being delivered within WSCC and across a broad range of stakeholders encompassing communities, the public and private sectors. You will be an effective advocate with excellent partnership skills and the ability to utilise networks to secure delivery.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication and organisational skills.
- Strong proven ability to influence, negotiate and persuade at senior leadership and Cabinet level, and with other external partners, exchanging information which may be complex or contentious.
- Proven ability to manage, inspire and motivate others, building credible relationships with a range of stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to demonstrate higher level thinking skills, in order to work through issues, make connections and establish solutions which draw on this bigger picture view of sustainability and climate change.
- Ability to think creatively, innovatively and laterally, in order to adapt to changes in circumstances, whether legislative, organisational or partnership related.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Relevant degree in climate change, policy or a related subject, or equivalent qualification or comparable experience.
- Post-graduate qualification in a relevant subject - Desirable
- Significant experience in this sector, with extensive and authoritative knowledge of sustainability and climate change resilience actions.
- Membership of a professional body with Fellow or Full Member status - Desirable
- Project Management knowledge - eg Prince 2 or equivalent - Desirable
- Significant experience in developing and delivering strong and influential strategies, policies and delivery plans.
- Experience of creating, developing and leading impactful partnerships across a range of stakeholders with diverse interests.
- Experience of developing business cases or investment propositions.
- Experience in leading, mentoring, coaching and motivating others.
- Demonstrable experience of influencing organisational change.
- Experience in local government.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to the following benefits:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Generous Pension Scheme
The reference number for this role is EIE00885.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Tom Fourcade (Strategic Manager - Climate Change) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again. If you are unable to see the attached job description, please contact the Recruitment team at the above email address.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.