Job Title: Trainee Auditor
Dept: Hertfordshire Shared Internal Audit Service (SIAS)
Location: County Hall, Hertford
Salary Range: £20,903 pa progressing to £25,481 pa
Hours: 37 per week
The Shared Internal Audit Service (SIAS) delivers a range of assurance and other services to several public sector bodies within Hertfordshire, including local councils, schools and some independent organisations. We are a successful and respected internal audit partnership with the objective of being at the leading edge of audit service delivery. We are hosted by Hertfordshire County Council and work closely with seven district and borough Councils.
We are looking for the auditors of the future. We will challenge, stretch and inspire you. Your voice will be heard, your opinions will be valued, and right from the start you will get involved and have a say in what we do. Your experience with us will allow you to build a lasting career with valuable skills and knowledge for your future. With ambition and outstanding performance, there is the potential to rise to the highest levels in the team.
What internal auditors do
Internal auditors deal with issues that are fundamentally important to the survival and prosperity of an organisation. We look beyond financial risks and statements to consider wider issues such as an organisation's reputation, growth, its impact on the environment and its treatment of employees. Internal auditors help organisations to succeed.
SIAS does this through a combination of assurance and consulting. Assurance involves providing an independent view to managers as to how well the systems and processes designed to keep the organisation on track are working. Consultancy activities are designed to assist management in developing systems and processes, or providing insight for improvement opportunities, through advisory services.
This role provides an excellent opportunity to enter the dynamic profession of internal audit whilst working for an established shared service. The successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking risk-based controls assurance reviews across a range of public sector services delivered by our clients.
We are offering:
- A structured development programme
- Study support and sponsorship towards a chartered professional qualification relevant to the internal audit sector
- A ‘buddy’ in your first year and a manager as a mentor
- Excellent career prospects with opportunity to progress within SIAS and beyond
- Access to Local Government Pension Scheme
- Hybrid working arrangements
- A competitive starting salary.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking a motivated, flexible and enthusiastic person with the dynamism to tackle challenges, the curiosity to understand how things work, and the desire to make them work better. Working both as part of our professional team and on their own initiative, our new Trainee will have excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to high quality customer service. They will be able to analyse information, offer creative and innovative solutions to problems and ultimately use their own judgement to ensure the right balance of risk and control.
- Maths and English GCSE Grade C or above
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, although relevant A Level or NVQ qualifications would be considered for the right candidates
- Post holders will be expected to study towards, and complete, key professional qualifications relevant to the Internal Audit Sector
- Proof of right to work in the UK, without the requirement of sponsorship
- Demonstrable ambition to make a career in public service.
You should be committed to your own development. Previous internal audit experience or qualifications are not essential as we will provide full on the job training.
If you are looking to launch your career in the public sector and can offer what we’re looking for, we’d welcome your application.
How to apply:
As part of the application, please complete a full supporting statement that answers the following questions:
- Why you have applied for the SIAS Trainee Internal Auditor Role and, if successful, what do you hope to achieve in this role over the next three years?
- What skills and experience do you possess to meet the person specification of the Trainee Auditor Role?
- Please detail your knowledge and awareness of the role of internal audit in Local Government?
- What challenges do you think County, District or Borough Councils will face over the next 5 years?
This is your opportunity to showcase in no more than 1,200 words how your values, education, knowledge, experience and skills match our requirements, as detailed in the person specification within the job outline; and to demonstrate your interest in working for the Shared Internal Audit Service.
The supporting statement is the essential element of your application. If you do not complete a full supporting statement, your application will be rejected.
For an informal discussion about this excellent opportunity please contact Mark Chalkley (Client Audit Manager) on 01438 845316.
Closing date: 23 January 2022
Interview date: w.c. 7 February 2022
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.