Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have a permanent opportunity for a Finance support officer in our Facilities Management (FM) team. The FM team are responsible for maintaining the diverse portfolio of buildings in the West Sussex estate such as libraries and fire stations. The maintenance and repair that our FM teams provide to WSCC buildings ensures that our colleagues across WSCC can continue to deliver the important frontline services to the residents of West Sussex.
To find out more information on WSCC and our services please visit our WSCC website.
Salary: £32,910 to £35,749 per annum
Working Pattern: Full - Time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
You will be the finance subject matter expert for FM working closely alongside the finance team to manage the FM budget. You will be experienced in setting up budgets using systems such as SAP and Oracle in a way that enables effective reporting on expenditure whilst navigating the limitations of the systems. You will be responsible responding to customer queries of which some may require complex reporting. You will also work closely with the contract managers within FM to ensure expenditure is as expected and providing forecasting on a regular basis. You will be the lead on month-end and year-end processes whilst supporting FM colleagues with their financial responsibilities providing advice and guidance when needed. This role sits within the Performance and Requirements team that supports the operational FM teams to deliver a quality service, whilst also focusing on business optimisation.
Experience and Skills
You will have excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages including complex formulas and functions (e.g. VLOOKUP and pivot tables). You will also be experienced in using financial systems such as SAP or Oracle. You will have a strong financial background with an eye for detail.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to research and analyse data from a variety of sources and produce qualitative information with minimal guidance.
- Highly computer literate with sound and accurate IT skills, including MS Office applications, in order to manipulate complex data and produce reports using a variety of software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present analysis and findings clearly, concisely and accurately to a range of audiences in ways that promote understanding.
- Advisory, negotiation and persuasion skills to encourage others to adopt a particular course of action.
- Sound problem solving skills with the ability to analyse complex issues and diagnose business solutions, making logical and rational decisions based on all information available.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and plan own workload to meet deadlines and targets.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree level qualification, or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of applied knowledge.
- Foundations in Accountancy qualification - Desirable
- Knowledge of MS Excel and comprehensive knowledge of SAP Finance, Oracle or equivalent IT finance packages.
- Experience of undertaking complex statistical analysis and detailing findings to a wide range of audiences.
- Demonstrable evidence of organising and handling large amounts of data and of producing high quality reports in order to inform business decision making.
- Experience and confidence in dealing with people and the ability to establish credibility at all levels of the organisation.
- Experience of setting up budgets using project systems.
- Experience of working in a customer orientated environment.
- Relevant experience working in an accounting and performance management environment, demonstrating a good understating and knowledge of systems and practices appropriate to finance.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to generous annual leave, as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.