Are you a Deputy Democratic Services Manager, or an experienced Democratic Services Officer who is ready to progress into a leadership role in Democratic Services? Then read on!
*Home working available with this role and there will be a requirement to work occasional evenings at the Town Hall to support committee and council meetings.
Our friendly and dedicated Democratic Services Team are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Deputy Democratic Services Manager to join them! In this busy and rewarding role, we want you to bring us your experience of working with elected Members, delivering confident and reliable meeting support, with a positive approach to improving, or fine-tuning, existing ways of working, helping us to develop and embed good decision-making at every level of the Council.
You will be responsible for providing effective management and leadership of the Democratic Services team comprising of 5 staff and coordinate the administration of Council, Executive and Committee meetings and forward planning of business. You will clerk Full Council, Standards Committee, Governance Task Group and Employment Committee meetings, maintain and update the Council’s constitution in consultation with the Monitoring Officer and manage and support investigations into Stage 2 complaints undertaken by the team according to the rota. You will also lead member engagement, training and induction activities, manage the appointments to Outside Bodies and Independent Remuneration Panel processes; and manage the operation of the conference management equipment that supports the webcasting of Council and Committee meetings.
About the Person:
- You will have experience in a democratic services officer role, including experience of clerking/supporting Full Council, Executive, Overview & Scrutiny and statutory Committee meetings.
- You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a deep understanding of working within a political environment, but most importantly, you will be a pro-active, dynamic, inspiring officer who can show us how we can do things better.
- You will ideally have line management experience.
- You will be self-motivated and able to demonstrate how you have delivered improvements in governance elsewhere, your workload will be varied, and you will need to be flexible about which meetings you cover, which will mostly be in the evenings.
- It is essential that you are a seasoned user of the Modern.gov (CIVICA) system, preferably with working knowledge of the reports management function, and ideally with working knowledge of the Public-I webcasting system.
- Positive: I maintain a “can do” attitude and a smile.
- Supportive: I create an environment where the people I work with feel valued and respected and have confidence to develop.
- Flexible: Adapting the way I work, I can deal confidently with change and accept new and different ideas and approaches.
- Innovative: I work to develop new ideas and workable solutions to drive the council forward.
- A degree or equivalent relevant experience
In exchange for your expertise, experience and enthusiasm, we will offer support in continuing your personal and career development, in addition to providing a wide range of employment linked benefits.
We provide you with competitive annual leave and contribute 15% towards the LGPS pension scheme. You will also have access to a range of discounts including local and high street stores, and salary sacrifice schemes including a cycle lease scheme, and ‘Better’ leisure centre membership. We also provide a flexible and agile working culture for a great work/life balance.
Closing Date: 23 January 2022 @ 23:59
Interviews: W/c 31 January 2022
Values and Behaviours
Our great working environment and the values and behaviours of every individual and team in the Council, help to evolve the culture of our organisation to become more commercial, innovative and embracing of change.
Successful applicants to our career opportunities will be able to demonstrate they share the values and behaviours we seek in our organisation.
For any further information about the role, please e-mail email@example.com.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer, supporting the guaranteed interview scheme for disabled and ex-armed forces candidates, who meet the essential criteria for the role.