Looking for a rewarding and challenging new role that offers flexible and family-friendly working options? You’ve found it – and plenty more. We are looking for a Facilities Management Officer to work in the Corporate Facilities Management (FM) team supervisory and leadership of facility services to staff and visitors including The Council’s Corporate and Community buildings.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This is an exciting and varied role. Your main duties will include:
- Ensuring health and safety / compliance checks are carried out by the team of FM Officers, ensuring accurate recording of the relevant data is up to date and responding to issues as they arise being solution focussed, ensuring visitors to site receive the best possible experience, ensuring room set ups and lettings are facilitated, sourcing and ordering of goods for the FM team and other council services.
- You thrive on working in a reactive environment where schedules change with little or no notice and decisions relating to risk are appropriately managed.
- IT, literacy and numeracy skills, and be able to communicate clearly face to face, by phone and in writing at various levels within the council.
- You will be highly organised, highly committed to working hard, be motivated and a natural motivator, a team player and able to work to deadlines independently and prioritise items in accordance with the Facilities Mananger’s and service’s needs.
- Experience working in a technical and customer focussed fast paced environment.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- You will have a technical understating of building systems and DIY knowledge and skills
- A good understanding of H&S legislation and the importance of statutory compliance
- Experience of leading a team working with the public
- Experience of supervising cleaning or repairs and maintenance works.
- Ability to be flexible and work outside of hours at different sites on occasions.
- Able to work some evenings and weekends at different sites where necessary.
- Ability to carry out FMO duties on occasions.
- Commitment to further training as required as well as train your team
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact Glyn.Bethell@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 23rd January 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success