Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
The Business Assurance Service's delivery plays a crucial part in the London Borough of Hillingdon's commitment to putting our residents first in everything that we do.
We are looking for a permanent Head of Internal Audit and Risk Assurance to join our Finance Directorate. You will be working as part of a positive and collaborative team based in Uxbridge, Hillingdon, although flexible working arrangements will be allowed.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to help provide positive assurance to a range of key stakeholders using a collaborative approach. You will directly report to the Deputy Director of Exchequer Services & Business Assurance and work closely with the Head of Counter Fraud and other Chief Officers, as well as the Audit Committee.
It is essential to confidently lead and manage the Internal Audit and Insurance Teams in all operational activities and liaise with the DDESBA on critical strategic decisions; therefore, you must have good communication skills.
The postholder will require a professional qualification in accounting or internal audit and be able to demonstrate extensive knowledge of Public Sector Internal Audit standards. Full study support for a further relevant professional qualification will be provided.
You will be expected to produce, and lead delivery of quarterly risk based internal audit plans and present complex audit reports to the Audit Committee and Chief Officers.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, show a can-do attitude, and engage effectively with their team. We are looking for a confident leader with excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
Please ensure that you meet the person specification and essential criteria as attached below.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Closing date: 10th January 2022
Interviews will last approx. 1 hour and will be held in person at the Civic Centre in Uxbridge on 17th and 19th January 2022. Please let us know in your application if you cannot make either of those dates.