Salary NS9: £27,041 - £28,672 per annum (Pay Award Pending)
37 hours per week
Newark and Sherwood District Council is committed to making the district a cleaner, safer and greener place to live, work and visit. The Environmental Services Business Unit has this at the heart of its activities and we are now recruiting for a Vehicle Fitter who, as part of a team of mechanics, will be responsible for the repair, service and maintenance of the Council’s fleet of vehicle and plant as well as carrying out servicing and repairs on private vehicles. It is also envisaged that the right candidate will join the team carrying out private MOT tests. In this role, you will play an integral part in supporting the Council to meet the objectives of its Community Plan.
Key Responsibilities will be to:
- Repair and maintain the Council’s fleet of vehicle and plant
- attend breakdowns on the roadside;
- carry out MOT and Taxi inspections;
- ensure that all Health and Safety guidelines are followed;
- repair and service external customer vehicles on request;
- Ensure all paperwork and vehicle documentation is completed correctly and accurately;
- keep the Council’s fleet management system up to date
- A recognised relevant level 3, or above, apprenticeship / qualification or have demonstrable experience within the motor trade
- experience of repairing modern heavy and light commercial vehicles;
- a full driving licence (a category C driving licence would be a distinct advantage but is not essential)
- experience working on the roadside and providing safe roadside assistance
- a VOSA Certificate for the MOT inspection of Class 4 and 7 vehicles would also be an advantage but training could be given to the right candidate.
- the ability and knowledge to diagnose faults on light and heavy goods vehicles
- experience in the use of complex data analysis machines
- computer literate with ability to use email and Microsoft office products
- Highly motivated with the ability to work on your own initiative and as a member of a team.
What we can offer you:
- A contract with excellent terms and conditions
- A competitive salary
- enrolment in to a local government pension scheme
- a generous annual leave entitlement that increases with service
- the opportunity to join a friendly, knowledgeable team who are committed to providing a professional service to both internal and external customers.
Previous Applicants Need Not Apply
For more information, please contact Richard Cull – Senior Mechanic on 07816850648. To apply please submit your CV outlining your qualifications and experience along with covering letter to: email@example.com
Closing Date – 12 noon, Wednesday 19th January 2022 Interview – TBC
Veterans/family of forces/ex-forces, those in care/care leavers, and candidates who declare a disability (as defined under the Equality Act 2010) will be guaranteed an interview provided they have demonstrated that they meet the essential criteria of the post as detailed in the Person Specification on their application form.