Data Analyst - Data and Performance Team
Full time 37 hours
RG6b (scp 28-scp 31)
£32,234 - £34,728
The Data Intelligence and Policy team is a multi-disciplinary team leading on the coordination of service plans, development of the Corporate Plan and accountable for performance management and reporting. The team supports development of key policies and liaises with the voluntary sector to deliver the Council’s strategic aims. We manage the Council’s geographical information systems and provide mapping services.
The purpose of the role is to undertake, support and conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis of data from a variety of sources to inform business decisions. You will support and undertake data cleansing to ensure the quality of the Council’s information assets.
The post will sit in the Council’s Corporate Improvement and Customer Service sector and reports to the Lead Data Scientist
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This role works with a range of operational colleagues, the finance team, system administrators, partners and service users to develop a deeper understanding of service trends and business and customer needs
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assess or conduct analysis, presenting results and putting forward recommendations on managing more complex situations to support decision making. Analyse and make recommendations for improvement or development of existing systems, processes or policy.
- Maintain, develop and review systems, processes, procedures and working methods to maximise service quality, efficiency and compliance. Provide specialist/professional advice and recommendations within specific parameters to support informed decision making.
- Take responsibility for the quality of multiple subsets of information, ensuring they are fit for purpose, remain available, accessible, and can be retrieved as required. This includes working with colleagues, clients and users, including senior managers, to investigate operational issues, problems and new opportunities, contributing to improvements in data quality.
- Identify, collect and migrate data to and from a range of systems. Manipulate and link different data sets to produce performance dashboards and reports.
- Apply the tools and techniques for data analysis, data visualisation and presentations
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- Degree in statistics, mathematics or a related subject involving maths, such as economics or data science or professional experience of applying these skills
- Competent at manipulating and interpreting multiple sets of raw data and providing effective analysis and recommendations.
- Proficient in techniques for identifying, gathering, cleansing and validating data.
- Familiar with tools and techniques (manual or automated) which can be used to document an understanding of the structure, relationships and use of information within an organization
- Experience in using Business Intelligence tools e.g., Power BI, Tableau or similar.
- Familiarity with SQL, and scripting in R/Python - willingness to learn is necessary.
- Ability to build process maps that identify points in the process where data is produced and use them to identify and implement solutions to streamline data processes.
- Impact-orientated attitude. A natural problem solver, with a logical and creative approach to work. Accuracy and attention to detail to produce meaningful data insight to service managers.
- Analytical skills, with the ability to analyse and identify patterns in information, trends, emerging issues, data errors and anomalies.
- Critical thinking and the ability to investigate, evaluate information and reach conclusions.
- Happy to work in a hybrid style; in the office and home.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 19th January
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.