Apprentice Executive Assistant
Fixed Term – 23 months
Full time 37 hours
Apprentice Minimum Wage in Year 1
National Minimum Wage from Year 2
Following a restructure, Reading Borough Council has created an Executive Assistant team. The team works with the Chief and Deputy Chief Executive, Executive Directors and Assistant Directors and covers a wide range of services across the council from Digital Transformation to Environment and Adult Social Care. If you have experience of working in different services, then that’s great and we’d love to hear from you however, we recognise that working in local government is very diverse, so what matters most to us is your positive problem-solving attitude and the collaborative way you work!
This is an opportunity to join a friendly and supportive team who works together in a complex, fast paced environment to assist Executive and Assistant directors to manage their time, priorities and focus effectively. No two days are the same and you will work with a broad range of stakeholders on a variety of activities
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
You will help provide a comprehensive and proactive administrative assistance to RBC Chief Executive, Executive and Assistant Directors as part of the Executive Assistant (EA) Team.
Alongside your responsibilities, you will undertake and complete Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard in Business Administration.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assist Executive Assistants (EAs) in setting up meetings – internal (Officers and Councillors) and external and booking rooms/venues as necessary.
- Support the drawing up of agendas and circulation of documents for meetings.
- Help with reports and other correspondence for internal and external customers.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the directorates/service areas the EA team supports.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality, trust and discretion on behalf of RBC Directors and Councillors, acting with tact and diplomacy at all times.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- Good basic education appropriate to the duties of the post (including Maths and English at GCSE Grade C/4 or equivalent).
- Happy working in a hybrid style in the office and from home.
- Punctual, reliable and adaptable with good organisational skills.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
- The ability to produce accurate and well-presented work.
- Work to a pre-determined deadline.
- Flexible and adaptable to the wide range of duties undertaken.
- Work as part of a team (EA team).
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver an excellent customer service.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 19th January
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.