Our vision for the county is that local communities are independent, strong and vibrant. We target our effort on those services that will make the biggest difference to communities, enabling them to help themselves in achieving their aspirations.
Increasing demographic pressures, continuing challenges to provide residents and communities with greater levels of choice and control over services, and the tighter financial constraints placed on the authority mean that the Council needs to continually review the way it operates. Working with elected Members, the leadership team has set out a clear vision of how we will continue to deliver for our residents over the next five years. This plan will provide the vision and direction, as well as the framework for our organisation and our collective partnership working across West Sussex. It is now our job, with our Members, to deliver on these commitments for and on behalf of our residents. Working for us is all about making a positive difference to the people of West Sussex.
For more information on West Sussex County Council, please visit our dedicated website.
About The Job
Salary: £40,876- £43,857per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
Interview Date: 17 January 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
Here at WSCC we are currently seeking a Corporate Contract Manager to support the Strategic Contract and Supplier Relationship Manager. You will be directly responsible for the management of a portfolio of business-critical contracts and Framework Agreements across the Resources category portfolio, with a collective annual budget in excess of £10m.
You will have full accountability for the operational and strategic management of these contracts and the service offering to the council, you'll use your judgement and skills to interpret and solve complex problems to deliver the budgeted targets and engage daily with key stakeholders.
You'll also need a robust can-do attitude to challenge value for money delivery and translate business strategy into contract performance. You'll be able to clearly articulate procurement and contract management strategy and manage difficult and sometimes challenging situations with parties in an objective and calm manner. You will be able to negotiate and prepare a proposal capable of acceptance by the Council.
You will be extremely organised and analytical with the ability to take ownership and influence.
Experience and Skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, demonstrating ability to engage and influence stakeholders at multiple levels and negotiate effective business solutions. Able to manage difficult situations and communicate with all parties in an objective and calm manner.
- Ability to challenge existing practices to identify innovative solutions, and ensure value for money is achieved.
- Translate analytics and data into trend insights and create recommendations for discussion with contract managers and suppliers, take follow up action when required.
- Ability to make sound, pragmatic problem-solving decisions, which will have a wider service impact. Ability to provide comprehensive professional advice and support within the service specialism, including tackling difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Effective communicator in face-to-face presentations with senior managers and suppliers. Report and business case drafting, written and verbal communication with suppliers and collaborative groups including email, reports, phone, video calls.
- Understand and articulate the Procurement and Contract management strategies, aims and objectives while exhibiting council values to all stakeholder groups. Represent the WSCC procurement and contract management team in a professional and consensus way to all stakeholder groups.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Working towards MCIPS / willing to work towards MCIPS, or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of knowledge.
- Experience in direct operational contract management demonstrated by monitoring and/or managing multiple contracts effectively to ensure they meet customers' requirements and business need.
- Experience of delivering contract management services on behalf of a wide range of clients in order to meet a diverse range of needs.
- Experience of designing and implementing contract management systems/practices and performance measures, including change management and engagement.
- Experience of managing and negotiating mutually beneficial contractual relationships and leading step changes in performance with a supplier. Demonstrating awareness of commercial motivations and expected behaviours of suppliers.
- Experienced at commercial negotiation of contract terms and contract management tools including monitoring benefits predicted and ultimately realised.
- Experience of working across organisations and functional teams to achieve collaboration.
- Experience of managing challenging stakeholder groups including disagreeable people and related negative behaviours, with evidence of achieving intended outcomes.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00541.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!