Barnsley is changing and at it’s heart is a commitment to concentrate on providing services where they’re most needed, where they’ll have the most impact and to help people do more for each other and their community.
Our highway network is vital to the economic, social and environmental well-being of Barnsley. It is key to achieving nearly all of the Council’s business objectives, providing the means by which children get to school, the elderly receive home help, waste is transported and Council staff deliver services around the Borough. Now is a great time to be joining our forward-thinking and dynamic Highways & Engineering Service.
We are looking to recruit an exceptional Technical Assistant to join our Highways & Engineering Service to help oversee and discharge our responsibilities as Local Highway Authority. This is a permanent role to be based in heart of Barnsley at our Westgate Plaza 1 offices.
Our new Technical Assistant will play a crucial role within our core Network team. Working within a small team, you will have the unparalleled opportunity to help in delivering a number of high-profile traffic management / traffic engineering schemes, from inception through to completion, with a chance to contribute to a number of current and emerging organisational strategies including enhancing local ecology, biodiversity and climate change.
Alongside your interest in traffic engineering the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Level 4 qualification in a relevant area OR relevant experience *
- Willingness to undertake LEAN training
- Experience of undertaking assessments, designing developing and supervising solutions to relevant engineering issues
- Understanding of health and safety, risk management and business continuity issues and their applicability to the design and construction processes, in particular the CDM Regulations
- Good communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including customers and contractors
- Good organisation and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, being self-motivated and able to use own initiative under minimal supervision
- Able to organise and prioritise a challenging workload, working accurately to deadlines and carrying out tasks in a methodical manner
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post
- Work in accordance with the council's visions, priorities, values and behaviours
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do.
As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding. In addition, we have an attractive and competitive employee pay benefits programme in addition to the basic salary. We are committed to supporting the principles of equal pay and aim to eliminate inequalities in our pay systems through fair and transparent pay framework and reward strategy.
It’s an exciting time for Barnsley and this new role requires an exceptional candidate who can assist with a varied range of traffic engineering schemes. If you are eligible for the role and want to make a difference then we’d love to hear from you.
If you have any queries or you would like to learn more about the role then please contact Damon Brown – Network Manager at email@example.com