Fire Safety Advisor
Ref: 1749 - 2227
Salary: £34,105 - £38,052 p.a.
37 hours per week flexi-time
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Fire Safety Advisor to join our repairs and maintenance teams with good knowledge and relevant experience in Fire Risk Assessments, Fire Safety Advice, legislation and policies.
Candidates must be technically competent, enthusiastic, be organised, good communicators, display attention to detail and have ability to manage multiple demands.
What can we offer?
We can provide you with opportunities to work on a varied range of projects and property types including social housing dwellings and various leasehold and commercial assets that we manage.
If you are not a full Member of the Institute of Fire Engineers, for the right candidate training and support will be provided to achieve this.
In addition to your salary we provide 26 days annual leave in addition to public holidays, have flexible working arrangements and the option of joining the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
What is the role?
You will be based at Somerstown Central Area Housing Office working as part of a repairs and maintenance team.
You will be required to ensure that good standards of fire safety and fire safety policy are implemented and maintained across the PCC estate
You will need to ensure legislative compliance and the continuing development and provision of a safe environment for staff, residents and members of the public.
You will be required to advise the Housing Neighbourhood & Building Services Management, and other services on fire safety matters related to ALL PCC owned and occupied properties, major building projects and to ensure compliance with related fire legislation.
You will undertake Fire Risk Assessments on all PCC Properties including sheltered housing, purpose built blocks of flats (including high rise), community centres and schools, and other varied assets or external agencies when demand requires.
You will liaise with Property Managers and Building Surveyors on Fire Safety works such as repair/replacement of fire doors, compartmentation and fire separation in PCC Properties.
You will when relevant and necessary train PCC staff in relevant fire safety matters.
You will be required to support in the development and maintaining of policy and processes working in collaboration with all relevant colleagues.
You need to:
- Have substantial experience in dealing with the control of means of escape from buildings & a good understanding of Fire Safety Legislation with proven experience of working in Local Government buildings such as schools, libraries, community centres, sheltered housing, residential care homes and tower blocks.
- Have an IFE Level 4 Certificate or equivalent.
- Be a 3rd Party qualified Fire Risk Assessor.
- Be a full member of the Institute of Fire Engineers (MIFireE) although applications from Associate members (AIFireE) may be considered.
- Have a comprehensive up-to-date knowledge of all legislation such as Regulatory Reform FSO 2005, Housing Act 2004, Building Regulations 2010, standards and best practice in fire safety relevant to this role.
- Demonstrate evidence of Continuing Professional Development in order to keep up to date with changes in legislation and fire safety practices.
- Extensive relevant experience in enforcement inspection, fire risk management, and provision of authoritative fire safety advice & undertaking of fire risk assessments.
- Be familiar in using PAS:79:2012 format of fire risk assessment.
- Have communication skills (verbal and written) and demonstrate the ability to be a good communicator developing relationships with clients and customers, understanding their aspirations, managing expectations and ensuring that excellent communication occurs to ensure that they are fully informed regarding Fire safety of their assets.
- Be organised and have the ability to prioritise and manage multiple demands.
- Have relevant knowledge and experience of all Microsoft packages and demonstrate practical IT skills using Excel spreadsheets to analyse data or Word when writing reports, letters or specifications and be able to use various other software packages to accurately update data as part of undertaking the role.
- Sufficiently physically fit as role will involve visiting many different sites and involves walking for long periods of times, climbing stairs, accessing roof areas and heights.
- Full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting various sites across Portsmouth and will need to travel effectively between them.
- There is no closing date - we will interview as we receive suitable applications